I did a thing.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Back in September our 1997 manual SR5 got Tboned by a 16 year old making a Uturn on a main 5 lane arterial. Whoops.

While we waited for the state to determine what to do with the title status a 97 Limited with a bad motor came on the market.

So... now we have a 1997 Limited SR5....

Limited body and axles (aftermarket suspension added)

Swapped all of the glass (the Limited tint was purple, swapping glass was easier)

Limited wiring harness (notes below) - I DID NOT swap harnesses as the T4R group said I would have to.

SR5 manual front seats recovered in Lseat leather and KBD seat heaters

Engine, manual transmission, and J-shift transfercase swapped in.

Manual transmission engine harness tied into the Limited body harness.

Still has the 4WD ecu to control the front ADD, using the J shift transfercase to trigger it.

4wd and rear diff lock all working.

While the motor was out I regasketed it down to the head gasket and replaced the flywheel, clutch, and PP.

It's the way Toyota should have made these Limiteds....

20201121_112746.jpg
20201121_112806.jpg
20201128_095449.jpg
20210117_111941.jpg
20201129_120439.jpg

This thread is a few months old, but I had a question about your drivetrain swap. Did you swap the engine, trans, and t-case together, as one unit, or unbolt?

I have a 96 4runner Limited that I am working on pulling the engine (PO overheated and now has a horrendous knock, and will only drive a few feet under its own power) and swapping another 3.4l. Just curious if you had any insight into the process.

I'm taking my sweet time, pulling everything off the old engine I can possibly reuse.

Also, any suggestions on while-you're-in-there things?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom