I.D. these hubs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fjfodee

At a Medium Pace
SILVER Star
Threads
Just picked up an '85 SR5. Truck looks to be unmolested
(other than the retro wheels).

I've never seen any hubs like this. Anyone have an idea?

009.JPG

010.JPG

009.JPG

010.JPG

I am in the same boat. I can say with reasonable certainty that they are not Aisin from any era that I am aware of. They do have a superwinch'esk look to them. I will be interested to see what you are able to find out about them.

Super nice looking rig that you got there.

nice truck , get some Aisin Hubs if those go down, or you want to put it back to stock form

The locking hubs almost look like a cross between some Ford Ranger and Mile Marker locking hubs, sorry I'm no help but curious to see who makes the hubs.

I've never seen those before. They don't look like Warn, MM, Superwinch or Selectro. Curious now...

Gonna take one off this weekend and see what I can find.

If you look close at the dial face, you can kinda make out
the last two letters...N & A

DANA ?
Some of the older DANA 44 axles had closed knuckles. Can you verify that the front axle woks and that the hubs are engaging and disengaging?

Last edited:
I think the Dana hubs were actually manufactured by Spicer.

The closest I can find are AVM hubs...

AVMHUBS.jpg

I looked them over real good and am 98% sure they are Warn hubs.
They do not have cone washers and I could barely see a W as the first letter.
So I think they actually read WARN4, depending on how the dial is turned to
the stamps on the hub body it would be WARN4x4 or WARN4x2.

I've never seen a solid body Warn hub before. Had me stumped.
They work flawlessly.

I think they are Warn also and say WARN4X 2 or WARN4X4 depending on which way the dial is facing.

I have seen guys put hubs that would bolt up on Toyota axles and engage but when you would put front axle / tires in a bind they would slip inside the locking hub because the splines we not correct, but look good on the outside

The closest I could find that look like yours are in the links below
. I know the links are about Jeeps but they look like what you have .

http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f2/6-bolt-locking-hub-questions-17207/

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/have-warn-and-dualmatic-hubs-to-trade_topic29068.html

I just realized where you live ... how soon before we see some action pictures of your new truck at Superlift Offroad Park :)

I do not know the manufacturer of those hubs but I can tell you how they got there.

The 1984/85 SR5 Xtracab Trucks had automatic hubs that were less than totally reliable and many of them were retro-fitted with manul hubs of some kind after-the-fact. Back in the day I did my 84 with OEM hubs.

The auto hub had a unique single wheel bearing adjusting nut with set screws that held the hub brake drum on the nut. Make sure that is not in there now. It needs to have two standard nuts and the lock tab washer.

Thanks Dan, I'll check it out.

I was wondering why these were installed, makes perfect since now.

Here's what they look like after you take the main
hub body off. Behind this is the normal jam nuts
with locking washers.

001.JPG

001.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom