hysteer options lets see (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had Mark W's design on the double arm, but changed to Marlin hy-steer recently, because I didn't want to keep bending factory tie rods. Hy-steer arms can bind into the shock body if you are using the factory shock mount on the axel, they will use the shock body as a steering stop. This bind, in my experience, twisted the knuckle bearing until the cage failed. This happened on both sides at different times. Since the steering arms contacted with the base of the shocks, no damage was done to the shocks. If you spring for a hy-steer set-up also budget in for shocks that will work with the can up. Search here and PBB for info and opinions on that as it's another big can of worms. DISCLAIMER: This is my sole experience, and others may not have had the same issues. There is nothing wrong with the arms, they are super strong. I just wanted to bring up something to measure for when you do your steering. What ever design you choose, Marlin, SkyMFG, All-Pro, 4X4 Labs, Double arm, etc... You will be pleased.

You can also change the mounting of the shock to the axle. On a couple of the spring reversal/wheelbase extensions that I'vedone, I cut the monting tab off of the axle and reversed it, moving the shock tower forward less to compensate. This keeps the shocks well away from the arms.

Mark...

I was thinking about doing that as well, using the Ford towers, but my roomie owed me some $$$ and had Bilstein shocks sitting around (5125's). Mine is one of your spring reversal and FJ60 PS jobs Mark.

Oh yeah, I remember it. ;)

Kyle fills me in on what you're up to with the rig every once in a while.

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom