Hydro a442f guys (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Posted this in 80 tech with no luck.

Assume you're driving on the freeway and the converter is locked and you're cruising at a steady state.

If you lean into the throttle to accelerate does your converter slip at all?

Turbo lag?

Slipping is not normal. Check fluid level, can take a bit of driving to balance out. I am going to assume you know how to check fluid in an auto. 👍

Cheers

It's not lag.

On my previous build I would see a flare of a few hundred rpm when locked up if I accelerated.

It is why I believe the converter was having issues prior to the failure.

Fluid was good.

Dusten it sounds like your converter did end up failing and you are trying to track down why?

I have a hydro a442f in my 92 HDJ, love/hate. To your question, I don't *think* there is any converter slip when in 4th on the highway. No turbo lag, the thing stays pinned at 11psi, and trans stays around 135 degrees F (coming out of the box before the first cooler, added a big aux cooler). I'll have to look at it closer, but it will bump up ~300 rpm if I lean onto the throttle in 4th w/ converter locked.

Dusten it sounds like your converter did end up failing and you are trying to track down why?

I have a hydro a442f in my 92 HDJ, love/hate. To your question, I don't *think* there is any converter slip when in 4th on the highway. No turbo lag, the thing stays pinned at 11psi, and trans stays around 135 degrees F (coming out of the box before the first cooler, added a big aux cooler). I'll have to look at it closer, but it will bump up ~300 rpm if I lean onto the throttle in 4th w/ converter locked.
That's about the level of slip I see too.

Basically it's sitting at whatever rpm is commiserate with the speed I am going and then if I lean on it to speed up I see 200-300 rpm increase.

The converter in my lightning won't budge. But it's an aftermarket with triple clutches and all the bells and whistles too.

It's been decades since I've driven a stock, older hydraulic transmission.

Lock up on a442 hydro has always felt quite faint to me. It's well worth the upgrade if you choose to go that route

Lock up on a442 hydro has always felt quite faint to me. It's well worth the upgrade if you choose to go that route

I don't really need or want agressive lock up. I just wanted to know what was normal.

I've driven very agressive autos with nasty valve bodies and high stall autos. I don't want that in a daily driver.

I don't really need or want agressive lock up. I just wanted to know what was normal.

I've driven very agressive autos with nasty valve bodies and high stall autos. I don't want that in a daily driver.
Too each there own. I don't find mine harsh at all daily driving actually I find it quite smooth. I can leave a glass of water on the dash board and not spill a drop accelerating pedal to the floor. If you ever get a chance drive an 80 with a full wholesale automatics transmission put in DO IT.

TC to lockup at highway speeds smooth you just notice rpm drop. Almost feels like a CVT trans. It's really unbelievable good! I love it for deep snow and sand driving.

Too each there own. I don't find mine harsh at all daily driving actually I find it quite smooth. I can leave a glass of water on the dash board and not spill a drop accelerating pedal to the floor. If you ever get a chance drive an 80 with a full wholesale automatics transmission put in DO IT.

TC to lockup at highway speeds smooth you just notice rpm drop. Almost feels like a CVT trans. It's really unbelievable good! I love it for deep snow and sand driving.

If my auto fails again I'll manual swap it. I'm not spending another $7000 on an auto.

I’ve been on the fence about upgrading my TC and valve body with their products.

Living in the US, I don’t have many people to ask about quality and performance. Sounds like you would recommend the upgrade?

4wd24/7 is just one big advertisement for Wholesale Auto 😂😂. They seem to love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom