Howling Westies (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone know West Highland Terriers? They predate me in my family. My parents have two at the moment. I take them for granted, but last trip to Los Angeles I listened to them

HOWLING

and it blew me away. Anyone know what I am talking about? Not a regular movie dog howl; it sounds like something the director of The Exorcist would have rejected because it was way too scary.

It sounds like a human being tortured. An old, woman human being rendered.

Do all Westies do this, or are some truly possessed by demons?

Welp....

It's 4ish in the a.m. and a beautiful boomer of a t-storm has been rolling through. I decide to you-tube "westie howling" and learn this:

1. Pretty common it seems

2. My retriever and shepherd don't care for it. Growling/barking was almost immediate.

3. Too easily mistaken for a howling child. When you mix a video/storm/growling dog you get a dreary eyed mom/redhead to go from sleep to pissed off in about two seconds flat. :D :cheers:

My Scotties always loved to "sing". They'd do it all the time, especially if someone played a musical instrument or if there were loud noises, other dogs howling, or you could get them to do it just by howling yourself, and they'd join in. Fxxxin' weird dogs, terriers are.

This ain't singing, man. You know the soundwalls they built alongside the LA freeways in the seventies? They did that so my parents' dogs don't upset the truckers.

This ain't singing, man. You know the soundwalls they built alongside the LA freeways in the seventies? They did that so my parents' dogs don't upset the truckers.

Haha, I remember those walls. I lived on the side of the 60 Fwy. growing up, on the South side of the freeway. They built the wall on the north side only, so the rich folks on the north side could have some sound protection. We got double the sound, because it reflected off the wall and right into my neighborhood.

We have two of them, male and female, both are now 13 years old. Before we moved here, my wife lived down the road from the local firestation in a busy town (Sanford Maine). If they were outside and the trucks went out on a run, the male would howl. You're right, it's freekin' creepy.

I am familiar with the breed in the sense that I know what it is.

Argo is an Aussie, which I am sure you don't give a s*** about, but he is pretty much silent, unless a train whistle blows, or a cop siren turns, or an ambulance comes by. When that happens, he lets out the most beautiful, spine tingling howl I have ever heard.

I love it! It is so long and mournful, it lasts up to a half minute. I always look at him and ask him where that came from? He just smiles with his jagged grin and plops back down under the desk.

Man, like I said a bazillion times before, I am gonna miss Argo. I figure he still has ten good years left in him....

We have two of them, male and female, both are now 13 years old. Before we moved here, my wife lived down the road from the local firestation in a busy town (Sanford Maine). If they were outside and the trucks went out on a run, the male would howl. You're right, it's freekin' creepy.

Yep - and as they get old and senile, they forgot they just did it, so they do it again, and so on...

My Cairn Terrier will howl on occasion. It's actually really funny.

Terriers rule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom