Howell EFI questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had a couple questions for the guys who have been running the howell EFI kits on the 2F for an FJ40. I bought a used kit missing a couple items. I haven't started the install but resourcing the last tidbits. It may take me awhile but I plan on selling the take offs in the classifies maybe next month. I'd like to update this thread as I come up with more questions.

What indicator are ya'll using for the check engine light? looks like most people install it in place of the choke knob.

Is there any reason to keep the carb fan, controller, and relay installed?

What are the options for the air cleaner? I would like to have some sort of housing for the filter. I'd like to see what others came up with.

1. When Downey made TBI conversion kits we supplied Dorman #85938 for the check engine light, these are still available on ebay.
2. I have no opinion on the fan, for me it would be "excess baggage".
3. Air cleaner wise, I'd use a 6 3/8 diameter "open element" on top the throttle body, but with a 4" tall pre-oiled K&N filter element. This diameter will not hit your brake master cylinder, and know body to date has convinced me a stock air cleaner assembly adapter to the throttle body is a better choice.

8067DE42-C258-4ADA-B87C-055BF132189B.jpeg
CCC0E32C-47A5-4874-84D6-869FA5C0EC5F.jpeg
7A9F2FC3-C7DE-451F-A381-7E6ECE61EBF8.jpeg
8067DE42-C258-4ADA-B87C-055BF132189B.jpeg
1. When Downey made TBI conversion kits we supplied Dorman #85938 for the check engine light, these are still available on ebay.
2. I have no opinion on the fan, for me it would be "excess baggage".
3. Air cleaner wise, I'd use a 6 3/8 diameter "open element" on top the throttle body, but with a 4" tall pre-oiled K&N filter element. This diameter will not hit your brake master cylinder, and know body to date has convinced me a stock air cleaner assembly adapter to the throttle body is a better choice.
I have a Howell unit and just had this adapter made after I mocked it up.

Is there any reason to keep the carb fan, controller, and relay installed?

The only purpose of the carb fan was to prevent vapor lock. Vapor lock was fairly common (in hot climates) in carburetors, but is very rare in modern fuel injected systems, so there's no real reason to keep it.

So last night at about midnight I snuck into the garage and removed the fan. I found two hide-a-key boxes.

Only one of the keys worked to unlock the door. Anyone recognize what the others could be for?

756F81AF-A24B-4DD7-865E-EDFBEBACF4DC.jpeg

So to stay more on topic, I don’t expect to drive in super dusty environment very often or high water crossings. With that said I always thought the canisters look practical for easy maintenance. Similar style to the Milo2 or the ancient jeep I wish I could pillage in the picture

6D821995-4843-4AF8-80B9-6AE82C6EB9AD.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom