How-To handbrake cable replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone, since I haven’t found anything regarding this (maybe I am too stupid for the search… who knows…) I decided to to share my suffering with you.
So the next one with this problem will have less headache with this.

Just the basics about the car . 200Series GX/ built 2008/ diesel/ manual Handbrake/ manual shifter

Since my handbreak never rly worked fine (well like s***) and I already changed the brake bell, the brakes, springs and other stuff I looked at the back of the housing. Looks like the hose broke off and I decided now to give it a last chance changing the bowden assembly.

Step one, remove the cup holder and see if I can unmount the bowden. Well the cable itself is removable easily with a 12mm wrench but no chance to dig deeper into it. Luckily you can just pull out the whole assembly in the middle (I guess it is a bit more fun with an automatic but anyway.)
IMG_9820.jpeg

looks then like this (as you see you should never drive with open windows in a sandstorm in the Sahara dessert)

As you see this stuff is fixed in the metal with some nice metal spring thingis…
IMG_9823.jpeg

After I tryed it with force I decided to do it with brain so I went to the PC, did some CAD magic and printed an adapter du push the springs to the center
IMG_9828.jpeg

And that worked pretty well
IMG_9835.jpeg

upcoming…
well I thought this would be the biggest step but guess, it’s not! A 200 driven in southern Germany that got no care except the basic technical stuff and every 6.000k fresh oil has alot of rust and so are the screws of the assembly.
Tried to remove the second screw and I got another screw head for my collection. 🥲

Spoiler: next post will be about havin fun with Helicoils - luckily a friend has a set
IMG_9847.jpeg

Part 2:
Worked on the passenger side today. The helicoils did their job pretty well and I glued them into the frame with green loctite.
Thought I removed all screws (the one close to the diff is hard to reach) and saw that Toyota thought it is a good idea to also place one ok top of the fuel tank…in the middle of it…
This one will be tomorrows target. In the worst case I just use a grinder and cut of the bowden before and after the tank 😤

yes my frame is in mint condition like fresh out of the factory.
IMG_9852.jpeg
IMG_9851.jpeg

And here the last screw on the passenger side directly above the tank.
IMG_9853.jpeg
IMG_9854.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom