How To: Delaminating Faux Dash Wood Trim (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

arcteryx

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.cruiseryard.com
Preface- This was done on a 100 series but should work on other series too.

Last year I started to remove the faux wood trim. Lots of time scraping in heat. I read and tried a few different things but those didn't work well. Only elbow grease and a spudger followed by hard rubbing worked. Some of the places were easy- dash vents and door lock/window bezels, but some were not - the upper NAV center console and around the radio and the shifter. The lower center console outer edge wasn't too bad. The issue is the top piece comes off pretty easy but the glue doesn't.

I didn't do anything for 6 months since it wasn't hot but today I gave it another try. After 10 minutes, I figured there had to be something that would remove the glue. I then thought of what I hadn't tried that may work- DIESEL! In short, this made fast work on the glue.

I had already decided that if it didn't come out well, I was going to get a replacement kit like this Remin® - Full Dash Kit There are lots of colors and styles on there. So if I messed it up too bad, I had a fall back.

To use, I poured some diesel into a small plastic bottle then dipped my rag into it and wiped it over the glue. Keep the rag moist. With the heat and diesel, it does evaporate quickly. I then used some elbow grease and in 30 seconds, the glue was gone.

Caution- I did use a screwdriver to remove some of the pieces which made a few scratches but they are not that bad. MUCH better than before IMO. And if the wife doesn't like it, we can get the above kit.

Here are some before and after pics

upload_2016-6-7_18-8-15.png

upload_2016-6-7_18-8-22.png

I just read this. Pretty bold move, amazing results! So, what's underneath the wood trim is silver plastic?
Printing this and putting in my build file. Thanks for sharing the thread.

Thanks, yes either black or silver for the 03+. I am still very happy with it.

Either color is fine by me > than faux grain!
yeah I just picked up an '05, love to lose the wood and cover the steering wheel.
I gotta bite: what is a "spudger"?

I'm still figuring my way around this site, looked at your website...figure you might have a good suggestion for getting a replacement
cover for this smaller stow space?
seMmZoM7T0XRoR7IvjQCJilCG83urRj9B7J7cramDoL6k-9ngxPefPFreFAbkU_n4yIb-f6Fm3PHuEFGMwoBWzkxPeYFZhSe6BaJGasbXY8wfrhA9q7zqRnXRXifzNAUV75OStg77H_GbqQt4SSWjYZn0fHRFBml981k5TN6131J97i22dx1fGFBPrGO_HZUdnYoTfMzSdkysphctkP2jYef0OCKR6G4-lB5mmPWiZ8d1HcDV1NpzYUt-fJlkOG3CkdRr18m8lwAnhfV666_NvJRE7JiJM3SWNE24kntTovNKSoCTyiF1wGoZrX56ELYfXhPN51dt5Q_XG8jSeQm9Vc2VkvXaEL3RIev08lOlhrOk7JH8_X8w14RPqq0IHRqn9htYeY3VSML0iZhv5QzfyV4WWUycvZmbrrmBeyu40HQXgBBhyPEOUvjlkDCAKd_L0DsZug8stpRa5mZX_hqtoj_t_Jy2VCU-SFGtpDPbLVvdgQ1qgJ60jliH1SayegLC0hDFMqqugC2jfaiuRM8YxPTkf9GCPBU2KJ3ALAR_xEulib0-7lRBlRK_yjHAbhlGmwpC3-_3FPQO050blzHO-f8eGT6mhXTGBYtvCR2dizgJDXHGQY0=w2736-h1540-no
ealer wants dealer wants $45, which is fine, I guess. Including install :)

go new from @beno I sell them but only as the whole cargo panel. besides, look like you need gray and I only have tan. FWIW, I had to order a few pieces as well like that, new ones too

I removed my wood trim, after trying rubbing alcohol, acetone, goo gone, olive oil...pretty much everything. WD-40 works the absolute best at removing the glue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom