How tight is your 12V plug on your ARB fridge? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased a 50QT ARB fridge last summer and the 12V plug has always seemed to tight and is very difficult to remove. The AC plug works fine as it should.

As I was trying to remove my 12V plug to remove the fridge from the 100 it seemed as if the whole connection was coming out of the back of the fridge. I ended up putting pliers to hold the connection from pulling out the back of the fridge to remove the 12V plug and after much wiggling back and forth the 12V plug was removed.

I checked the clearances on the plug and the fridge with calipers and there was plenty of clearance on the plastic plug on all sides. It seems as if it gets stuck on the actual metal connection.

Is this normal for this plug and or fridge?

Mine has always been difficult to remove, but apparently not as bad as yours.

Sounds like it started to corrode the contacts. You could try applying electrical contact anti-corrosion grease.

i have 2 ARBs. One 12v plug is pretty normal, the other is very snug - not quite as snug as yours, but surprisingly tight. It seems to be loosening up a little with more frequent use.

I dont like that the socket is in danger of being ripped out! I dont have an ARB but a similar sized Engel and I dont think I could pull the socket if I tried. Are there any screws around it that could be tightened?

This is a great option too and you don't have to ditch the factory plug.
ARB FRIDGE FREEZER WIRING KIT & THREADED SOCKET (10900027)
10900027.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I actually just ordered another factory plug to try to see if it removes any easier.

The contacts are clean and like I said it has been tight since I took it out of the box. I may try dielectric grease as I guess it could not hurt.

There is nothing around the actual socket on the fridge except plastic. Not really sure how it connects on the inside and opening it will void the warranty. (3 year) If the new plug is rediculus tight I may bring it to the place I purchased for warranty.

The Wits end plug is nice but I don't need a coil. I believe what plugs into the actual fridge is the same 2 prong plug. I do have a blue sea fuse box and breaker with Anderson connectors waiting to be installed.

Last edited:
I purchased a 50QT ARB fridge last summer and the 12V plug has always seemed to tight and is very difficult to remove. The AC plug works fine as it should.

As I was trying to remove my 12V plug to remove the fridge from the 100 it seemed as if the whole connection was coming out of the back of the fridge. I ended up putting pliers to hold the connection from pulling out the back of the fridge to remove the 12V plug and after much wiggling back and forth the 12V plug was removed.

I checked the clearances on the plug and the fridge with calipers and there was plenty of clearance on the plastic plug on all sides. It seems as if it gets stuck on the actual metal connection.

Is this normal for this plug and or fridge?
I'm on my second 50 qt. ARB. I love them, but with both I had the same problem you described. I live with it rather than risk damaging that connection.

For $40, the ARB threaded outlet is a real no-brainer and the install only takes about 30-40 minutes. The ARB plug transforms from standard CIG 12V to threaded in a matter of seconds. Also worth noting is that it comes with really heavy gauge wire, heavier than any standard CIG 12v outlet has running to it, which will affect efficiency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom