How much life can you expect out of the 4.5 & 4.0 US Cruiser motors? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

32k on first 1fzfe - blown head gasket
about 33k on 2nd 1fzfe - piston momma slap and other issues
abount 30k on current 1fzfe and "so far" ::) looks ok

basically, they last a long time unless I have them :flipoff2:

Lars, how much are you figuring to spend on the rebuild. I am in Phx, too. Have you found a reputable shop other than a Toyota dept?

Chris

Crap Larry,

I do stock the valvegrind gasket set so you are covered from here. Cruiserman's got the freshest experience with a driveway job. You can save a chunk of change if you do the labor yourself.

[quote author=AZcruiser link=board=2;threadid=9816;start=msg86963#msg86963 date=1073592015]
Lars, how much are you figuring to spend on the rebuild. I am in Phx, too. Have you found a reputable shop other than a Toyota dept?

Chris
[/quote]

Chris,

I'm doing the work myself. I havent searched for a shop yet to do the work on the head if needed. I'm thinking 4 or 5 hundred when all is said and done but this figure is without much research. Since I havent gotten into it yet I have no idea what needs to be replaced. Radiator? Cleaning the injectors is $25 each

Larry

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=9816;start=msg87033#msg87033 date=1073597240]
Crap Larry,

I do stock the valvegrind gasket set so you are covered from here. Cruiserman's got the freshest experience with a driveway job. You can save a chunk of change if you do the labor yourself.
[/quote]

Thanks Dan. I'll give you a shout in a week or two.

Unless you're using RC Engineering, you should be able to get your injectors cleaned for under $75. The gasket kit will running you over $100. It depends on what gasket(s) you order (just HG, top end, or full motor set).

Check the valve clearance before you start the work to decide if you need to order any shims.

Parts should be under $200 unless you're doing the timing parts, etc.

Larry,

Bummer, hate to hear that.

If you could use a laugh go to squizzle.com and watch "Farting Preacher 2" clip (under movies).

Good Luck.
Rookie2

Larry,

Sorry to hear you've joined the club. :-[ Mine too was a #6 aneurysm at about 90K--just a few K after I put the S/C on. I don't blame the S/C...just "good" timing IMO.

I had the dealer do the work: obvious new HG, valve job, PHH, fuel filter, etc. Total damage was about $4K in New Jersey.

On the positive side, the mechanic (LC master mech at dealer) told me that other than the HG, the innards looked quite good. I run full snythetic wherever I can put it since about 40K, changes every 5K for engine. I'm in the process of "replacing" the tranny fluid in drain-and-fill increments with snyth.

I plan to keep my truck far from Junk, so I hope to expect about another 200K before any major work.

Robbie: I didn't have the injectors R&R'd at the time of the S/C install. In your opinion, what are the pros and cons of this? I do run 3M thru the system (both decarbonizing and fuel injector via gas) every once in a while. Would you still recommend pulling the injectors? Runs well as it right now...

Tom

[quote author=Phaedrus link=board=2;threadid=9816;start=msg86854#msg86854 date=1073580649]
used 1fzes were around $1500 last time I looked. I will start the planning for the engine swap around 230k just so I can have all of the peices ready to go before I need them.
Dave
[/quote]
Dave
Where are you finding the $1500 1fzes?
What are you going to swap, a 1fz?
Maybe I should plan on a 3fe swap :D

Hello Tom: are you the orginal owner? if so great, and you have been running an injection cleaner since it was new? THen all is more than likely just fine. If you have either a air fuel ratio guage to tell you when you are running lean it will help with the fuel system and figureing out when you may need to get the injectors cleaned or fuel pump replacement. The other is the Pyro to see if you are running hot indicatiing also a lean condition. Most trucks we see are not orginal owners and to be on eht safe side ( we have not had a truck we have set up for SC die a premature death)( knock on wood). I hope this answers your question. Truly with out seeing the truck and doing some tests I could not say for sure. later Robbie

Larry,

>> Has someone already done this? <<

In addition to cruiserman, there is a guy on the 80sCool list (John Davies ? ) that did his own head gasket. He did a pretty good write up and, other than cruiserman's, that is the only write up that I've seen. He asked many questions of Robbie via the list while he was doing the job. Robbie posted a lot of good tips and tricks so be sure to find those messages. Let me know if you have a problem finding them... I'm a pro searcher. :D

You will be doing the LC community a GREAT service if you can take pics and document the head gasket job.

Again, I'm sorry to hear this but it sounds like we'll all gain some much needed knowledge if and when it becomes our turn to join you in "becoming one with our 1FZ-FE's"

-B-

well from your past track record we can only assume the current motor will blow at 34k :D

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=9816;start=msg86950#msg86950 date=1073591503]
32k on first 1fzfe - blown head gasket
about 33k on 2nd 1fzfe - piston momma slap and other issues
abount 30k on current 1fzfe and "so far" ::) looks ok

basically, they last a long time unless I have them :flipoff2:
[/quote]

IMOP all Cruiser motors if well maintained should last 300,000 miles before needing a rebuild, they are designed to be rebuilt 2x's.

92fj80, 220k
88fj62 330k(had a head at 290k) motor still runs VERY strong
90fj62, 240k this is the most powerfull fj62 I have ever drivin, it flat hauls ass

the 94 that Rob is picking up tuesday in Gig Harbor has 249,000 miles, still has the same(or real close)power as moms 97, the top seam on the orignal rad is starting to leak so this must be fixed soon. But this was a one owner well serviced Cruiser.

there is 99 uzj100 in town with 200k on it, not one problem

Overheating is the biggest concern. I have heard that the origianl hoses are ment to last 300k.......well maybe and maybe not but when ever I buy a used cruiser one of the 1st things I do is replace the hoses(and flush, use red juice and new OEM t-stat).......damn cheap insurance and great piece of mind. Knock on wood but I have had 20+ cars, never had a head gasket go.

Not one of these rigs runs synthetic oil, just dino

Yep all of the above plus no crappy recore, new factory rad for me.

My customer had me purchase one for his truck and it was the same price factory new as a recore?

I like synthetics in the difs, tranny, transfercase and beleive in semi synthetic in the engine itself.

Hoses, belts and I was luck the truck had a front end overhaul a couple years ago.

Getting excited!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again Landpimp.

Rob
www.raddcruisers.ca

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom