How many miles is too many/checking service history? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Currently own a '97, looking for a 100 series (prefer Toyota). I have found several 2003-05 models with mileage between 120,000 - 160,000. I know maintenance wise timing belt/water pump is at the top.
2 questions:
1. How many miles are too many if you know the history?
2. Found a 2005 (Toyota) with 160,000 miles, service history ends August 2015 at 150000 (battery). May 2015 with 147,000 miles water pump/drive belts were replaced. So where has it been for 2 years and should I be concerned about the 10,000 miles?

I have found several where service history/mileage is great and then vehicle disappears for 1-2 years and then ends up on auto site for sale. One I found showed 120,000 miles but last service history showed 250,000 + miles. Wading thru the weeds to find the flower is tough.

Thanks, Nelson

I wouldn't be concerned for 10k miles.
You still may want to do the baseline services on it.

Just my 0.2 cents.

A.J

Definitely, that is how i started with my 80.

I see the wanted ads by people who want a low mileage 03+. Unless you're gonna park it and let it sit for 20 years and sell it, it's a moot point IMO. People are getting way too concerned over miles on these. They're a VERY reliable drivetrain. I'd have no issues buying one with 300k on it so long as there was proper maintenance and valvoline oil wasn't used

I see the wanted ads by people who want a low mileage 03+. Unless you're gonna park it and let it sit for 20 years and sell it, it's a moot point IMO. People are getting way too concerned over miles on these. They're a VERY reliable drivetrain. I'd have no issues buying one with 300k on it so long as there was proper maintenance and valvoline oil wasn't used

Totally agree when I was looking for my car found ones with lower miles but condition is poor or accidents or no service history.Rather a car with higher miles well looked after.

Mine's closing in on 200k, the only non-maintenance item to fail was the alternator. I bought it 4 years ago (I think?), with 123k on it. 2006, and I use her pretty hard. The AHC is being replaced with a Tough Dog Suspension when I find the time to install it.

I felt pretty confident buying since literally every service was performed by Toyota every 5k. I wouldn't worry about the 10k with no maintenance history.

Someone just posted a link to a Toyota Tundra that Toyota tore down when it came to them with a million miles on it. Was an '07. Our LC have an even higher level of QC during the build process so I can assure you these trucks are without a doubt 500,000 mile trucks or more. Sounds crazy, but just ask the guys here on this forum who have 470,000 miles on their trucks and they will agree. Buy one taken care of and don't fret about mileage.

I bought my Las Vegas 05 with 108,000 miles on it all services done at Lexus Took it to Slee off-road and had old man emu 2 inch lift, Slee diff drop and rock sliders added at 120k miles. Also new spark plugs T's replaced wheel bearings repacked all new fluids in the drive train etc. etc. since then radiator flush new hoses new battery new gas cap new PCV valve new radiator cap and over flow cap new steering rack installed by Lexus. Continue to do oil and filter changes every 5000 miles with mobile 1 5/30. No rust since it's been a Las Vegas /Austin Texas 100 series it's never been in the snow or Off-road. I might be trading mine in the next couple of months on a 2013/14 LX 570 and I know the dealer is going to give me some where around 16K to $18K. Keep looking I found a good one you'll find one too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom