How long for Hole in the Rock Trail? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a trip coming up early May and we are planning to do HITR as part of our plan. My assumption is that we can reach the end of the trail, camp and exit the next day. This is from all the research i've done? Does that sound right? How much time do we need to alot from trailhead to end? The reason i ask is somewhat adviced that we allot 2 nights for it, which can throw a wrench in the overall plan if that is indeed the case.

I'm in charge of planning and herding the group so I appreciate all the advice you guys can provide!

You can run the trail itself with just 1 night camping on the trail.

But where are you staying the night before you start and the night after you finish?

The trailhead itself is probably a 3 - 4 hour drive from Moab.

Personally I am leaving from Saint George Utah, I am planning on camping the first night on the San Juan mtns. That will put me close to the trailhead.
Than 1 night on the actual trail. Followed by a 3rd night back up high on the San Juan's. Than the 4th day of my trip I am driving back home.

So in other words yes, you can do the actual trail in two days with 1 night on the trail. But the trailhead is a long ways from anywhere.

You can run the trail itself with just 1 night camping on the trail.

But where are you staying the night before you start and the night after you finish?

The trailhead itself is probably a 3 - 4 hour drive from Moab.

Personally I am leaving from Saint George Utah, I am planning on camping the first night on the San Juan mtns. That will put me close to the trailhead.
Than 1 night on the actual trail. Followed by a 3rd night back up high on the San Juan's. Than the 4th day of my trip I am driving back home.

So in other words yes, you can do the actual trail in two days with 1 night on the trail. But the trailhead is a long ways from anywhere.

we're coming from the Swell area so likely we are starting the day early from Factory Butte area. So realistically that puts as around noon to HITR trailhead (group of 6 so expecting a slow take off).

Expecting to camp out by Comb Ridge area once we are out. But i think what i'm hearing is the group may be tired from the long drive and can use the extra night within HITR to relax for the next leg of the trip. Since you're right, HITR is definitely out there!

It's been a while since I led a HITR run but if memory serves, we drove from ABQ to the Combwash CG. On the next day, we got fuel at Hall's crossing marina, then turned around and backtracked back to the HITR trailhead, aired down and ran the trail.

It's been a while since I led a HITR run but if memory serves, we drove from ABQ to the Combwash CG. On the next day, we got fuel at Hall's crossing marina, then turned around and backtracked back to the HITR trailhead, aired down and ran the trail.
About what time did you start? And about how much time from trailhead to end of trail? We are going to roll it by ear but since im leading the trip i wanted to be able to give as much info i can, and make sure everyone enjoy their trip (several 1st timers at utah)

About what time did you start? And about how much time from trailhead to end of trail? We are going to roll it by ear but since im leading the trip i wanted to be able to give as much info i can, and make sure everyone enjoy their trip (several 1st timers at utah)

I don't have an answer for you as it has been several years since I ran that trail. The trail itself is only 30 some odd miles long but some aspects of it require spotting, which slows things down quite a bit as you can imagine.

Since you will have some newbies, I'd plan on camping somewhere after you finish the trail on the second day simply to catch your breath. It might freak out a first timer so you will want to be catering to them as much as possible.

@z531519

Did you end up running the trail? If so how was it?

@z531519

Did you end up running the trail? If so how was it?
We ended up not running it. My buddy broke a shock off Swell by Hanksville. He had to drive back to Moab so that pushed our schedule back. It was a bummer for me since this was as close i would get to running HITR but it's all part of the adventure. Overall the trip went well for me, we ended up doing Hotel Rock instead since we missed HITR. By then two of the trucks had enough of the trails (one is a full size truck, it simply won't make it, other has a passenger with fear of heights). So missing HITR turns out to be a good thing for them since that would be a full commitment to get in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom