How dumb is this idea? Steering tech question (1 Viewer)

Should I reinvent hydro assist steering?

• Yes what could possibly go wrong

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No Hoff, go do a hairy chested shirtless burnout in your 100hp v8 transam

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Some dumbass built my truck super low and with the springs inboarded and I have limited options for hydro ram placement. I wanted to weld a tab to the knuckle but it's cast, and outside the capability of flux core, so f that. I found a stock steering arm in my basement and I'm thinking of mounting it upside down off of the lower knuckle studs and attaching the ram to that, that's either behind the axle on the pax side, or in front on the driver's. Dumb idea? The internet says mounting it to the tierod is the easy way to do it but it causes s*** to flop around, the internet also says to mount it right to the knuckle if possible, but the failure is more spectacular if you mismeasure or bind up real bad, with of course no real evidence to back that up.

Honestly your steering arm idea is great. I wouldn't hesitate to do that, just understand the risk of bending the arm.

Yea, what they said.

Attaching to a lower arm should work fine, but the ram will tag rocks... Can you do like the ton guys do and run a long bolt through upped and lower arms (switch to a heim) and try to keep the ram as high on the bolt as you can? Does that make sense?

Attaching to a lower arm should work fine, but the ram will tag rocks... Can you do like the ton guys do and run a long bolt through upped and lower arms (switch to a heim) and try to keep the ram as high on the bolt as you can? Does that make sense?

I was looking into that and know what you are saying. I am instead mounting it lower and forward off the diff cover and attaching it to the tie rod. I don't want to change everything to heims at this time.

Hoff, do you still want my old manual gearbox or idler arm or whatever is was you wanted? Been de cluttering the garage and found the steering linkage with all the parts.

Oh s*** I forgot about that, it was the manual box. Ill still take that, **** it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom