How does this trim go on? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

StaticTorque

SILVER Star
Threads
I’m replacing the trim vents on the 3rd row windows. Before I put the new ones on I was wondering how are they supposed to go on? If you can post a picture of yours, that’d be fantastic.
Picture 1
Below is one pic of how it was on there, at the top peak of it, does it go inside the rubber seal on the window?
Picture 2
Or is the whole trim piece go on top of the rubber seal around the 3rd row window?

5F48D276-EE8A-418D-AE38-B59371C67B5F.jpeg

D90DD3CE-A755-466B-B940-4793FABCADC6.jpeg

I pretty sure there is at least one bolt/nut from the inside to complete detach, the rest should snap out from the outside IIRC.

I pretty sure there is at least one bolt/nut from the inside to complete detach, the rest should snap out from the outside IIRC.
I have both sides off. I just wasn’t sure how they go back on because the seals were destroyed on the olds ones and clips had broken. I believe I have a water leak coming from there, so that’s why I replaced them.

48D44FAC-DBD3-4248-9499-F65A046F408D.jpeg

F2D9A198-CB29-4301-A90A-D1AB394F3E1D.jpeg

Poke/search around here a bit.

Ah. I find searching in google to be a little easier; Im sure more detailed threads are in here; but:
from the google address bar type "site:ih8mud.com <enter context of what>"

Ah. I find searching in google to be a little easier; Im sure more detailed threads are in here; but:
from the google address bar type "site:ih8mud.com <enter context of what>"
Ah okay, thank you! I appreciate your help! You’ve commented on like every post I have made. I have a water leak coming from the D pillars on both sides. Research I did these were the cause. I had duct tape cover the vents for about a week, and I never got any water in the cargo area.

Ah okay, thank you! I appreciate your help! You’ve commented on like every post I have made. I have a water leak coming from the D pillars on both sides. Research I did these were the cause. I had duct tape cover the vents for about a week, and I never got any water in the cargo area.
Good start! If you cross ref other threads also involving the rear swing out windows, and rear slider leaks, etc I think you will find what you are looking for.

Just did this last week. I found it a little tricky to get the seal to seat properly but just take your time. Also I found the middle of the top two clips to not be that friendly - as in once it's on, that's it. At least for me. Last, pretzel arm to get that bottom bolt off and on. 8mm if I recall? Also had water coming in from there - but haven't had a rain yet to find out if that was the fix. Good luck!

Just did this last week. I found it a little tricky to get the seal to seat properly but just take your time. Also I found the middle of the top two clips to not be that friendly - as in once it's on, that's it. At least for me. Last, pretzel arm to get that bottom bolt off and on. 8mm if I recall? Also had water coming in from there - but haven't had a rain yet to find out if that was the fix. Good luck!
Take a hose and spray it down! My water leak cams pretty fast after dumping it with the hose. Thanks for your input, look like that trim needs to go under the window seal

Looks like the quarter window gasket isn't seated over the louvre all the way.

So the gasket around the window needs to be ontop?

Yeah, it goes on top. It can be a little fiddly to get it all to fit. The length of the bolt on the louvre makes it tricky since getting the front edge under the gasket causes the bolt to miss align with hole on body where the bolt should go. Too much tension on the plastic can cause it to crack or break. It can help to have a second set of hands and do what you can to move the gasket instead of flexing the plastic of the louvre. Hope that makes sense. From the photo it may just be that you have to lift the gasket edge from underneath the louvre as it looks like the louvre is already fitted in place.

Yeah, it goes on top. It can be a little fiddly to get it all to fit. The length of the bolt on the louvre makes it tricky since getting the front edge under the gasket causes the bolt to miss align with hole on body where the bolt should go. Too much tension on the plastic can cause it to crack or break. It can help to have a second set of hands and do what you can to move the gasket instead of flexing the plastic of the louvre. Hope that makes sense. From the photo it may just be that you have to lift the gasket edge from underneath the louvre as it looks like the louvre is already fitted in place.
Yes I do have it in place now, and now I’m scared to take it off and not to break it like I did the old ones. There’s hardly ANYTHING to grab on and pull the gasket over the trim.

Slide a thin flat plastic shim piece under the gasket at the top where the gasket is already over the louvre. Slowly slide the the plastic shim down making sure the gasket pulls out from under the louvre and rests ontop of it as you work it down. You probably don't need to remove the louvre.

If I'm looking at your photo correctly, it is exactly like mine and I followed my factory side (that is, I'm assuming it hadn't been replaced before I bought it 18 years ago 🤷‍♂️ At the bottom corner, it switches from the window rubber being on top to the louvre rubber being on top.

If I'm looking at your photo correctly, it is exactly like mine and I followed my factory side (that is, I'm assuming it hadn't been replaced before I bought it 18 years ago 🤷‍♂️ At the bottom corner, it switches from the window rubber being on top to the louvre rubber being on top.
Ah! Okay then! That makes me feel better, cause at the bottom it just doesn’t appear it would go on top! I did use a shim to bring it down just a hair more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom