How do I search classifieds by series of vehicle, or could classifieds have different forums for each series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry if this has been asked before, I searched and could not find any relevant threads on it.

Basically, the title says it all. I have an 80 series, so if I'm looking for parts, I'm only interested in finding parts that fit my truck.
Given that a lot of FS ads don't list the series of truck the parts fit in the title (and some will cross over, I get it), is there a better way to search I had not found?

It would make sense to me that since the vehicles FS are split by the chassis, the parts would be as well, but I assume I just haven't found the correct way to sort FS ads..

Any insight, or help?

Thanks!

I'm rusty on classifieds search. I just tried to use the filter in each of the 3 parts forums and got a blank white page when I entered keyword "80" and clicked on filter. Even tried to narrow results by choosing last 7 days. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong. @woody

If you search using the basic magnifying glass icon. Some results do pop up if you enter 80.
26FECD2E-7F5F-4B6B-8E9B-0073480D1BE5.png

Here's a link to those results

I'm rusty on classifieds search. I just tried to use the filter in each of the 3 parts forums and got a blank white page when I entered keyword "80" and clicked on filter. Even tried to narrow results by choosing last 7 days. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong. @woody

If you search using the basic magnifying glass icon. Some results do pop up if you enter 80.
View attachment 2877775

Here's a link to those results

Rusty ?

no way .......:)

i have noticed lately @woody some times Advance search IS Forum specific and other times its more borad based and generalized results come up after you enter your

key search words or terms ?

Forums suck for Classifieds...especially busy ones.

Search sucks on short keywords, like "80".

Descriptive thread titles is the key, but most members don't do that.

A Classifieds plugin would be nice....but I've already dumped $$$ into development costs to watch them fail, have developers disappear, abandon projects, etc. The one I've recently been following (like two years or more) has a developer that seems to float in/out. Need to look at it again to see if it's finally working, but even then, none are auto-specific and modifying the code simple creates more issues.

Again, forums suck for classifieds.

Forums suck for Classifieds...especially busy ones.

Search sucks on short keywords, like "80".

Descriptive thread titles is the key, but most members don't do that.

A Classifieds plugin would be nice....but I've already dumped $$$ into development costs to watch them fail, have developers disappear, abandon projects, etc. The one I've recently been following (like two years or more) has a developer that seems to float in/out. Need to look at it again to see if it's finally working, but even then, none are auto-specific and modifying the code simple creates more issues.

Again, forums suck for classifieds.

Roger that, and I appreciate the reply, sir!
I agree if everyone used the series in the title of the ad, you could get a halfway decent sort by filtering by that, but alas....

Would it be an equally monumental task to break up the classified board into sub boards in the same way vehicles for sale is subdivided?
With as much volume as there is in the classifieds section perhaps that is an option? You could even merge "Classifieds - parts" with "Parting out", perhaps.

Thanks again!
-New guy

Roger that, and I appreciate the reply, sir!
I agree if everyone used the series in the title of the ad, you could get a halfway decent sort by filtering by that, but alas....

Would it be an equally monumental task to break up the classified board into sub boards in the same way vehicles for sale is subdivided?
With as much volume as there is in the classifieds section perhaps that is an option? You could even merge "Classifieds - parts" with "Parting out", perhaps.

Thanks again!
-New guy
Considered that....members already screw up where there stuff goes....

and a diff that fits a 40-45-55-60-62-80 would be listed 6 times....or a 3FE that fits a FJ62 and a FJ80 twice, and member A replies to one thread and member B replies to the other, and the seller responds to the 2nd before the 1st, and the 1st gets @$#% that he missed out on the sale, and next thing I'm drug in to mediate and tell member B that Member A gets the sale, but Seller shipped it already and now everyone hates me....

That sounds fun :) That situation isn't super common, but it's happened with the current setup already.

A Classifieds plugin that is supported would be ideal. I need to again spend a few days researching the one that's out there and see if it's actually functioning and supported...AND see if the developer is going to stick around for more than 6 months.

MOST of the plugins/addons added to the standard forum software (and there are 25ish) are from a select few developers. I learned that poor coding and flaky coders is worse than the benefits their plugins add.

I already have one with an Admin code that I use to help with database security that is 30 days into a major bug with no response, other than "your ticket has been received and is in the que"...yay....at least that has zero effect on the day-to-day forum use by members.

A Classifieds plugin that is supported would be ideal. I need to again spend a few days researching the one that's out there and see if it's actually functioning and supported...AND see if the developer is going to stick around for more than 6 months.

MOST of the plugins/addons added to the standard forum software (and there are 25ish) are from a select few developers. I learned that poor coding and flaky coders is worse than the benefits their plugins add.
Revisited the thread/Classifieds plugin that I have been following since mid-2018. The current developer has no less than 40 replies with issues and bugs dating back two months...and has made no response. Yet another reason we are stuck with what exists...

Revisited the thread/Classifieds plugin that I have been following since mid-2018. The current developer has no less than 40 replies with issues and bugs dating back two months...and has made no response. Yet another reason we are stuck with what exists...
Hey, all good.

I totally get it, and thanks for at least taking the time to respond!

I know forums are a labor of love, and not a great value proposition, and the value proposition usually gets worse as the forum gets larger. At least you are still running things yourself. The larger forums are getting bought up by media companies, and it goes to heck soon thereafter (Like my favorite VW forum).

Thanks again, and happy new year!!

Just chiming in to express my interest in a chassis specific filter when searching Classifieds. Looks like it's been explored, but think it would be a valuable addition for the forum users.

I'm no coder, but... Seems like a mandatory tag option for new posts (where the OP would have to choose a "80"/"100"/"Universal"/etc. or multiple tags before submitting post) could easily implemented 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom