holley carb problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a holly 2 barrel on my 40 and when I go to start it, the carb actually blows the gas out the top of it. It was running sweet for awhile, but now it wont even try to start. What is wrong?

Has anything else been done to the motor since it was running well. I am thinking timing issue...

crushr, you actually have experience with a 2 barrell holley on a F/2F or are you just spouting the nets belief on holleys?

You need a rebuild. Sounds like a stuck fuel valve. My boat did this a couple of weeks ago, dang near killed us. 4BBL fuel valve on the secondaries stuck open and pumped gas as fast as the fuel pump would go. The bowl vents one a marine carb turn back into the throat to keep from filling the bilge with gas. But in the closed secondaries on the ramp the angle was enough to pour out and down the back of the engine!

Your bowl vent should point straight up. Thus the spraying of fuel. Try smacking it hard with a big screwdriver handle 10-12 times and crank again. might un-stick it.

I'd rebuild it ASAP! Here is why this happens too quickly these days"

http://www.larrysengine.com/techarticles.asp

Later,

Matt

PS I hate Holly carbs too.

dabruin15 said:
I have a holly 2 barrel on my 40 and when I go to start it, the carb actually blows the gas out the top of it. It was running sweet for awhile, but now it wont even try to start. What is wrong?

lfootmatt said:
Try smacking it hard with a big screwdriver handle 10-12 times and crank again. might un-stick it.

I'd rebuild it ASAP!

I've gotten the 'smacking it' technique to work on a Holley before. It's no joke.

If it was on a 2wd, I'd agree that you should rebuild, but that carb is not up for 4wd duty. "Holleys have a tendancy of spilling fuel from the float bowl right into the throttle body, bypassing all the metering of the throttle valves."

I've got one, and it behaves exactly as described. As long as you don't hit any bumps going uphill, you're good. :doh: My Aisin carb is in a box awaiting a JimC address label.

This should be in the tech links:

http://www.rzeppa.org/tech/carb.htm

If set up correctly, they do not flood out on hills.

It is not a black and white "holleys suck" issue. They just take work.

Side hung float, extended breather and intakes and you will be a lot better off.

Start with that.

I have the stock carb, should I just put that on and get rid of the holley or should I just but a new carb? And which carb should I get?

Stock carb is an excellent carb if you are having troubles with the Holley..

Jom C or Mark (65swb45) are excellent choices for tweaking the carb to perform the best :D

Mace said:
Side hung float, extended breather and intakes and you will be a lot better off.

Start with that.

Ditto, that is what I have and I can run it just fine at about any angle I want - at least until the pucker factor kicks in!!

Tony

you can also get spring loaded needle & seats and floats with springs for holley's to keep them from bouncing around. thats how i built my 4 barrel holley on my V-8 and i set the float level a little lower then normal and you can just use a piece of hose to extend the bowl vent if needed if fuel is sloshing out or even a piece of brake line will work. its a bit of trial and error kind of thing. i have always bin a big holley fan because they are so easy to work on and the design is so basic.

The Holley Truck Avenger line of carbs come with side hung float bowls, spring loaded needles & seats, and an extended crossover vent to prevent spilling fuel. They come in 470, 670 and 770 cfm. Holley advertises them as being able to maintain proper fuel flow at 30 degree side angles and fore and aft up to 40 degrees. And they meet those specs. I haven't pushed mine much beyond those specs, though. Yet. My only criticism is that they are jetted pretty rich for stock or RV cammed engines, and the power valve in current models is so low for opening (2 Hg) that it might as well be plugged off. I need to put a 6.5 or 8.5 in mine and lean the main jets out by a couple of sizes to start and see how it does.

http://www.holley.com/types/Truck_Avenger.asp

i have the 6.5 in mine works great, and jets are easy to mess with if you buy the blue holley bowl gaskets because they can be used over and over, so you can mess with stuff. i have about $100.00 into the carb and it works great. its a 600 cfm with electric choke that i got for free from a bud and i rebuit it. the most expensive part was the spring loaded needle and seats at about $23.00 each. i added an anty blow out valve (spring loaded ball bearing) about $10.00 to protect the power valve. and a holley trick kit that cost me about $30.00 at my cost (jobber price) you can buy a book on holley's from HP Book's at the auto parts places on how to build them.

A Holley came with my 60 and was stalling out on hills. I took some 1/4 inch copper tubing about 2 inches long and stuck it in the vent tube angled to the front of the vehicle. Runs great now...straight up steep hills with no stumbling.

I have an 81 , 2f with a 350 cfm Holley that I have run for at least the last two years. It runs great, including mild to moderate wheeling. I had similar problems as dabruin15 until I overhauled the carb with an inexpnesive rebuild kit form the local parts store. My powervalve took a dive and the new one made all the difference in the world. Downey offroad has all the needed Holley parts and kits for any mods you might want to do to make it even better and is a great resource for Holley carbs on landcruisers.

I have a mechanic that builds carbs for nascar. His speciality is quads on chevy's. My brother got one from him and it was amazing, the guy is just brilliant. I am thinking about either getting a 4 barrel manifold and having him modify it for it or moding it to the 2 barrel manifold and just disconneting the rear 2 barrels. They do it in racing, if you go around a corner and the 4 barrels kick in you spin out. What do you think?

Just so you know, these carbs are amazing, reliable, and gaurenteed.
16mpg on a stock 350

the 2bbl is better at angles than the 4 bbl

Stick with the 2 banger..

well, then what do I do. I banged on the carb and when that didnt work I took it off and cleaned everything out. Everything is in working order. And it still blows crap out of the top of the car

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom