HJ70 1995 M-22R (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello guys.

I’m a new member. Recently I bought a Land Cruiser II (HJ70) that has the 22R motor. What would you guys recommend in order to start upgrading the car in terms of power, gas affordability and performance.

Hello guys.

I’m a new member. Recently I bought a Land Cruiser II (HJ70) that has the 22R motor. What would you guys recommend in order to start upgrading the car in terms of power, gas affordability and performance.
Or would you recommend keeping this engine to make some upgrades.

I replaced the original carburetor with a Weber 32/36 DGV and it was adjusted in a dyno by a professional. Works better now and fuel economy improved slightly. It's not a rocket to accelerate (at least with 255/85R16 tires and 4.56 gears) but you can live with it. The Land Cruiser is so nice to drive that there is no rush to destination. ;)

Btw, it's an RJ70 if the engine is 22R.

I would recommend not doing much to it other than a solid baseline and fluid swap (diffs, trans, tcase, coolant… regrease u joints) and double check the timing chain. From my experience, you could dump thousands into the 22RE to include turbo’s etc while still trying to maintain some level of reliability, and you would still be making less torque and ponies than a 3RZ motor. I have a 22RE in a pickup with Doug Thorley headers and magnaflow exhaust and barely anything changed.

The only thing that I did notice and liked is regearing to 4.88’s and rocking 235/85r16 tires. Got much better acceleration and performance up inclines, and i don’t drive fast anyways so I didn’t lose a whole lot of Highway RPM’s.

Recently I bought a Land Cruiser II (HJ70) that has the 22R motor
No such model. You have an RJ70 . Its a light duty coil sprung model, probably labelled a Landcruiser II

What would you guys recommend in order to start upgrading the car in terms of power, gas affordability and performance.

It depends on budget, and whether you want stick with petrol or convert to diesel. Nothing will be cheap.
I would recommend leaving it as it is for some time and make a decision after you are knowledgeable on this model. These are not in great numbers any more. Leaving it standard may get you a small windfall when you want to sell.

I replaced the original carburetor with a Weber 32/36 DGV and it was adjusted in a dyno by a professional. Works better now and fuel economy improved slightly. It's not a rocket to accelerate (at least with 255/85R16 tires and 4.56 gears) but you can live with it. The Land Cruiser is so nice to drive that there is no rush to destination. ;)

Btw,
Thank you my friend! I think this would probably be a good upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom