HJ61 tow vehicle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My buddies t100 was getting a tbelt and asked if I could pull the boat for a gduck sample, I said yes.

We hooked up the next day and headed out to Barkley Sound, we hit Sutton pass and pulled over to put chains on when a RCMP pulls up. He mentioned the pass was not been cleared and it was snowing like nothing I have ever seen. He highly recommended not trying to make the run up and we listened, turned out it was good advice.

We later found out there were cars and trucks lined on the side of the pass, some in the ditch. The police officers main concern was the boat and trailer swapping out on a corner and taking us with it.

This is a shot of us back in Port Alberni heading back to home.
IMG_0608.JPG
IMG_0610.JPG

Yup, never want to test your insurance if you don't have to.

Glad you turned around and avoided the risk. 61 looks great towing that boat though. I've heard the 12HT in a 61 is a great towing rig (as far as landcruiser go).

Glad you turned around and avoided the risk. 61 looks great towing that boat though. I've heard the 12HT in a 61 is a great towing rig (as far as landcruiser go).

I haven't looked into it, any idea on tow rating? Seem to remember 2500 lbs being the number on one of my trucks...

61 could easily tow more, but the number is the number as far as cops and insurance are concerned I would imagine.

(Towing in snow is no fun. )

I haven't looked into it, any idea on tow rating? Seem to remember 2500 lbs being the number on one of my trucks...

61 could easily tow more, but the number is the number as far as cops and insurance are concerned I would imagine.

(Towing in snow is no fun. )

I think it might be 3500lb from what I've read. But that is just regurgitation. Trailer brakes would be a must of course.

3500 is the number that comes to mind for me. I towed a FJ40 with an alum 18' car hauler. I think
it buggered my OME springs, I had too much tongue weight. That was too big, and it was just from Rob's old house to my place.
It's the stopping and starting/hills that kill. I think with stock tires and springs it would certainly be a better
option.

To compare to HDJ81 to the HJ61 is surprisingly quite different animals, the 81 seems to climb better but on flats it was fine.

Seeing as how I did not have collision, I was extra worried and glad we made the choice to turn around.

If it wasn't a cold, wet, sleet driven miserable freakin' day - it looks like it might have been fun! HaHa!!

Fishing on the weekends Johny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom