HJ60 starting problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

This is my first time to write. I have been driving and working on a Aussie Toyota Land Cruiser HJ60 2h engine for years now. It is in good running condition.

For the last two months, I have been push starting the vehicle to start. I have noticed that when the key is off the battery voltage is 12.46v but when the key is at "on" position the battery voltage drops to 11.20v and a click sound when key is at "start" position. I even change the battery but still the same problem.

Please I need some advice.

24v diesel is here: Diesel Tech / 24 volts - https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/diesel-tech-24-volts.24/

When key is on the edic clicks and the glowplugs glow so the voltage goes down.
If it does not start maybe hit the starter and see if it starts then (with someone helping)

Also do you have the FSM, factory service manual, because most trouble shooting and testing is in the manual.
see link below, many hj60 stuff PDF manuals like:

ST-1, page 262, or page 3: click on ST

Last edited:
Welcome Taueni!
Up in Canada we have lots of diesel cruisers, both 4 cylinder and 6.
First of all, your battery may very well be bad. At your temperature (about 25C) 12.44v open circuit is only at about a 55% state of charge, and with a very light load (key at “on” position, not running) 11.20v indicates a very dead battery. Your battery may well have a bad cell that is allowing a surface charge but having little capacity to support a high current draw like activating the glow plugs and the starter. If you have someone with a proper battery tester, start there. Otherwise, replace the battery with a known good battery and try again. Let us know how it goes!

24v diesel is here: Diesel Tech / 24 volts - https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/diesel-tech-24-volts.24/

When key is on the edic clicks and the glowplugs glow so the voltage goes down.
If it does not start maybe hit the starter and see if it starts then (with someone helping)

Also do you have the FSM, factory service manual, because most trouble shooting and testing is in the manual.
see link below, many hj60 stuff PDF manuals like:

ST-1, page 262, or page 3: click on ST

Thank you very much, this really helps.

Welcome Taueni!
Up in Canada we have lots of diesel cruisers, both 4 cylinder and 6.
First of all, your battery may very well be bad. At your temperature (about 25C) 12.44v open circuit is only at about a 55% state of charge, and with a very light load (key at “on” position, not running) 11.20v indicates a very dead battery. Your battery may well have a bad cell that is allowing a surface charge but having little capacity to support a high current draw like activating the glow plugs and the starter. If you have someone with a proper battery tester, start there. Otherwise, replace the battery with a known good battery and try again. Let us know how it goes!
Thank you, I had the battery changed and all the ground wires cleaned out and now she starts up just fine. Again, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom