hj60 5spd feedback please ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i am looking quite seriously at a 86 hj60 with the 5 speed ,i did nt know they even came with the 5 speed i have driven the hj 60 with the auto and found it adequate , at least slightly better than my bj60 5 spd , i am thinking this would be a good combo , the 60 is from some one on this board it has a recently rebuilt motor , what say you ? any one here with the hj 60 5 spd ?

Everything goes better with a 5 speed if it has the torque to use 5th gear.
With a freshly rebuilt 2H you will be happy with it.
I think you would get most of the benefit of the 5 speed if you have 4.11 diff ratios
In Australia ,most 2H have a 5 speed and the auto is rare.
I drove a HJ75 with a new 2H and 5speed last week and it felt great.

Hi,
Same answer for the Europeans HJ !
They all came with 5 speed.
I recently tried one with 33/12.5 tires.... no problem.The owner said he find the truck better than with 205R16 tires

Last edited:
Agreed. I've driven both the auto and the 5 speed and the 5 speed with the right gearing is a superb combo. I find that with a low powered diesel like the
2H the extra control of a manual transmission makes all of the difference. FWIW- Real World experience: On a recent trip to Big Sur, my 2H 5 speed combo with 320,000 km. on the clock easily outpaced a really fresh 2H auto combo in the hills. The advantage seems to come from the ability to read the terrain and enter the hills in the proper gear to maintain power. Also, the auto seems to rob a good chunk of the power. I'm not an expert by any means, but those are my observations.

Be sure to check out 5th gear. If the truck has been lugged or towed in 5th the tranny may have a tendancy to pop out of 5th gear. Very comon problem on Canadian HJ60s. Test drive it on the Hwy in 5th and cycle the throttle so that you are loading and unloading the drivetrain, it is in the slack point that the shifter pops out of 5th. The Canadian 5spd HJ60 has 3.70 diffs IIRC
HJ60 with 5 speed is a fantastic truck.. My folks had one since the early 90s and I put a lot of miles on it, it was a great machine.. eventually the rust won and they replaced it with an HJ61.

denis said:
Not all did. :frown:
Yes...you're right... before 83 there are with 4 speed ;)
but I believe these models arn't officially imported... neither automatic (maybe in switzerland or UK).
I never saw one and I just eard recently a french guy owning an automatic gearbox (on a hj61)

Perhaps I should better said "french models"

iron_giant said:
Agreed. I've driven both the auto and the 5 speed and the 5 speed with the right gearing is a superb combo. I find that with a low powered diesel like the
2H the extra control of a manual transmission makes all of the difference. FWIW- Real World experience: On a recent trip to Big Sur, my 2H 5 speed combo with 320,000 km. on the clock easily outpaced a really fresh 2H auto combo in the hills. The advantage seems to come from the ability to read the terrain and enter the hills in the proper gear to maintain power. Also, the auto seems to rob a good chunk of the power. I'm not an expert by any means, but those are my observations.

I, too, have both, an auto and a 5 speed, and agree with the above 100 percent.

If you have stock tires ( think in 31" ) and 3.70 your H55F and 2H in decent condition would be fine .. so fine ..

But try to runn 33" with 3.70 and H55F with regular 2H .. is use you 5ft in flat sections with good tail wind ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom