HJ47 for difficult tracks around the world (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G'day
we have just bought Toyota HJ47 for difficult tracks around the world. We have been living in our Mitsubishi Delica for two years now, we drove her from UK through Russia, Central Asia, South Korea, Japan to Australia. We did 105000km in and Delica was perfect/Gibb River Road, Cape York.../. We are shipping car to New Zealand for 3 months. From there we are going back home to Czech Republic. More info and links for our photo website here www.delicajourney.webnode.cz

We bought Toyota HJ47 in Tasmania two weeks ago.

I did some work, bud did not have time to finish it, as our visas expire soon.
Car looks like this now.

We will go back to OZ in the beginning of next year, finish the car and do some more remote tracks/Canning Stock Road, Tanami, Simpson.../, ship the car to Russia and travel far east of Russia, Mongolia and back home. After that South America, Central Asia, but that is a distant future.

I will keep Toyota as simple as possible and I am sure, that I will have some question, so be patient with me, please.

My first one is, if I can fit 33x10.5x15 without any modifications. I am sure I can, but would be good, if someone can confirm that.

Have a nice day.
Kamil

Hi, i have a FJ45 that has the same body as yours, they were originally utes/pick up truck that were converted to troopies buy Arkana Body Builders in Perth Western Australia.

They are pretty heavy duty in the back! I like your roof it is higher than mine, i am planning on cutting mine down and adding roll bars and a canvas cover like the 40 series. This is because i have a rear side door and a large forward facing seat in the rear but i cannot licence it to fit more than 3 people with a glass roof and no roll cage in Western Australia, so its a 3 seat troopy! :frown:

Thanks for info. I was trying to find out history of our car, but did not have any luck.
High roof is great and I my try to built small section of it as a pop up, but I am not sure yet, as I will not be able to put roof rack. On the other side, I am not a big fan of carrying to much stuff especially on the roof.

Is that a one piece roof? Strange why they didn't carry the height all the way, still theres some strange designs in the Arkana sections but the beauty of them is you can modify/add bits to them simply with a cheap stick welder.

The roof is one piece and I have no idea why is it like this. Lower section will be a good place for solar panel.
I did not like shape of windows, so I ordered new one, which can be opened with mosquito net.
I also plan to blank with steel panel rear side windows, as I want to use space in corners inside as a storage.

I just do not know, if we should fit lockers. I want to keep everything very simple, but lockers will can help, especially if we travel on our own all the time.

Can't hurt (except the pocket) to get lockers but not essential, people who go 4x4ing on the weekend etc look for the worse track/terrain to have some fun, touring is different you want to get in the rough but you want to get where you are going so you are not going to attempt the really rough stuff. So lockers are not as important. If i had to choose between them and a winch i'd choose a winch, having said that i havn't used lockers so i could be wrong.

I have standard split rims, they are easier to change tyres and the range of replacement tyres in isolated areas would be greater than having aftermarket wheels. But i spose you could just have two splits as spares.

What tyres did you run on the Delica, have any problems?

We have PTO winch and as you say, long distance traveling is different than few days trip, so I do not thing I will buy lockers.

We had BFG KM2 on Delica for 60000km and they were good. I bought Kumho before Gibb River Road and that was a bad buy, as they started to chip. I phoned Kumho and they offered 4 higher load rating tires and I paied only for 2 as they sold me wrong ones first time. I would love to buy BFG, but they are so expensive here in OZ and I could not afford them at that time.
I will put 33x10.5x15 BFG KM2 to Toyota. I just love them and they are most popular brand in Europe as well with people who travel/mainly BFG AT/. I will need good tyres for Russia, so BFG all the way for us.

Road Grippers seem to be the most popular where i am on standard rims, still pricey at $300 each new, i get them second hand when people upgrade to the bigger wheels, you can get some bargains on Gumtree.

We have water tank inside and pieces of rubber were underneath. Tank does not leak, but condensation and movement made hole on the floor over the years.
My idea is to put heavy duty rubber/which I have/ under whole tank and check it once a year when I do general maintenance of all tanks.
What do you think about it? Any other solutions?

Can you make some brackets to give it some space for airflow? Or once you treat the corrosion undercoat with cold galv and topcoat that. Then theres products like epoxy paint tank liners that may suit a wet area in a camper. I am planing to cold galv the unserside of mine as we have salt lakes and much of the wet areas i drive over in winter has salt affected areas.

I may undercoat the whole thing with cold galv, leave something for the grandkids!

It would have to be very strong brackets as the tank is heavy even empty/120l of water/ and has unusual shape. So I would have to mount brackets to the floor anyway. I like tank sitting on the floor so I do not have to worry about corrugations, ....

I have never heard about clod galv so I will have to do some research. Thanks for ideas.:cheers:

Is the condensation dripping down off the tank? or?

Pete

We have water tank inside and pieces of rubber were underneath. Tank does not leak, but condensation and movement made hole on the floor over the years.
My idea is to put heavy duty rubber/which I have/ under whole tank and check it once a year when I do general maintenance of all tanks.
What do you think about it? Any other solutions?

http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/delicajourney/media/DSC00784_zps6fe271d6.jpg.html

That wet mark is when I was removing the tank.
But floor underneath has a hole and I think it is from condensation, as tank does not leak.

Hole is on the left. Floor on the right under fuel tank is OK.

Anyone is using this filter? We will spend lots of time in very dusty condition, so I am thinking to fit this on the roof with snorkel. Any good for us? http://www.donaldson.com/en/catalogs/engine/033615.pdf
you wont get much dust unless you are following someone or passing oncoming cars,i have used Finer Filter in remote areas as they can be washed and re-oiled when dirty,i would buy a finer filter if you have concerns about dust

What is a finer filter, not sure what you mean?

you wont get much dust unless you are following someone or passing oncoming cars,i have used Finer Filter in remote areas as they can be washed and re-oiled when dirty,i would buy a finer filter if you have concerns about dust

I am not sure if that is good for very dusty conditions. During our stay in Central Asia we met few people with those filters. They are good in normal driving, but when is very dusty, some of them had to be cleaned twice a day and if you have just one filter=nightmare.
I borrowed dust separator for our snorkel and had to empty it every few hours and main air filter was still very dirty every day, so that is why I am looking for "dry filter" solution.

I have another question.
I want to buy stronger alternator/80A/ new starter motor and waterpump. Is ebay a good place to buy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom