Hitting 200k, service needed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My '98 is getting ready to hit 200k miles and she needs some work. My plan was timing belt, pulleys, water pump, plugs. Mech that I talked to said didn't really need pulleys, they are original...

What do ya'll reccomend? Whats the best thing to do at this point? I'd rather put it down and get everything taken care of. I'm also on original cv joints, was thinking about replacing them too.

CVs on these things are generally regarded as bulletproof. Unless you're having issues with them, just make sure they are greased and aren't leaking and you should be good. Having a spare or two around isn't a bad thing though.

As for the actual pulleys, no need to replace those either unless there is excessive play or noise. Tensioners, yes. Pulleys, not needed unless there's a reason.

Basically, you're at the point where its time for another 90k service. I'd go check out the FAQ and get the parts list, and do all of the extra "while you're in there" items too as preventative maintenance. Also check your UCAs/ball joints and front end suspension components...most people don't realize when they are toasted since they wear out gradually.

Wash, Wax, detail and throw a new car smell air freshener under the seat to prepare for another 200k!

At higher mileage the inspections are the most important.

Checking the brake lines, suspension ect...

Has anyone done the recommended 10 year airbag inspection ? what does it consist of?

Has anyone done the recommended 10 year airbag inspection ? what does it consist of?

Hmmm, I wasn't aware of such an inspection, although after thinking about it I'm sure it's very important. If anyone can chime in with info on this one, I'm all ears.

200K checklist:
ball joints
CV joints
steering rack
shocks
brakes
starter

I had to replace or still need to replace all of these items post 200k. Im at 237K.

My '98 is getting ready to hit 200k miles and she needs some work. My plan was timing belt, pulleys, water pump, plugs. Mech that I talked to said didn't really need pulleys, they are original...

What do ya'll reccomend? Whats the best thing to do at this point? I'd rather put it down and get everything taken care of. I'm also on original cv joints, was thinking about replacing them too.

Personally, whenever I do a t-belt on any interference engine, I replace all the components involved in the belt path. This usually includes the tensioner (be it hydraulic or spring) as well as the tensioner pulley and idler pulley. It is cheap insurance given the cost of one of them failing with an interference engine.

Also, at 200K, I would probably replace the cam seals and front crank seal. I replaced mine at ~100K with the first t-belt service and it likely was overkill given the lack of oil leaks exhibited from these engines.

Also, likely worthwhile to replace the t-stat and coolant hoses.

Definitely use all toyota OEM parts.

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom