Hitch Mounted Cargo Carrier for Transporting Wheels and Tires to Moab (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a 2nd set of rims with some older MT's on them we use in Moab. The 100 usually has nice squishy Michelin AT's on it for my wife which we'd like to drive out on. I've carried a motorcycle on my hitch-mounted carrier before with no issues to Denver and back. Given the nature of tires going BOUNCY-BOUNCY down the interstate if they were to come loose, do you think the FUZZ would have a problem with this? I've got professional 15,000 straps used with chain ratchets so they're not coming off but still, I figured I should ask. Thoughts? Can they really say much as long as you're within the weight rating of the cargo box and you're strapped down correctly?

This was on our 80, not the 100 but you get the idea. This bike weighs a lot more than the 4 wheels and tires I'll be hauling on an actual cargo rack back there. This rack is specifically for motorcycles.

19437542_10155430346556419_1284721819896739110_n.jpg

Last edited:
subscribed. I have a '16 Bonneville that I would like to use with this setup too.

Replace OEM rear springs with King coils?

Since you posted it... how bouncy is the hitch mount with the Ducati on it? I just bought a '73 CB500 (around 400 lbs) and would rather use a carrier like you've got than a trailer.

I don't see why the police would care what your load is as long as it's within the specs of the carrier and secured properly.

I doubt the cops would care, but with that stuff YMMV. Definitely secure it well, and make sure not to block the brake lights. If it sticks out too much maybe a red flag too. Weight wise, it sounds about the same.

I was running AirLift 1000's on the 80 and will do the same on the 100, especially since we'll have a 150-lb RTT on the roof and all of our gear in the back. It rode firm but honestly it felt nice being so planted back there. So many questions and looks at gas stations. Ha. Little kids and some Dads were wanting to check it out back there.

Since you posted it... how bouncy is the hitch mount with the Ducati on it? I just bought a '73 CB500 (around 400 lbs) and would rather use a carrier like you've got than a trailer.

I don't see why the police would care what your load is as long as it's within the specs of the carrier and secured properly.

You're dead-on on the brake lights. I've been pulled over in my city before for a simple bike rack obscuring my license plate. On my motorcycle carrier, I added auxiliary brake lights. Video below...

Doooooooooooood! Look at you! This is perfect. Thanks a ton for posting this.

I bought my LX in California 1800 miles away. I also bought a set of wheels and tires out there and drove them back with the hitch rack. No problems at all worked just perfectly. No problems with the cops, and toll roads were all free!

hg81hNh.jpg

uomknGT.jpg

Haha. I just understood what you meant by free toll roads. That's awesome.

Agree regional variations may come in to play. My wife got pulled over here in NV multiple times in one of our old vehicles because the aftermarket back up cam "obscured the license plate". It didn't obscure anything except maybe a one inch wide strip at the top of the plate. All you need is one bored human (read local cop looking for love and distraction) and a closed for repair fast food establishment and you have a problem. Roll of the dice but I think the highway patrol have generally better things to do. Well except in California and Nebraska for some odd reason. I think @J1000 got lucky :)

Haha. Yah, I've got a license plate re locator and the break lights. Unless I'm doing 100 mph, should be good.

Ducati loading. Being 6'-5" helps.

Found this carrier on craigslist today. Brand new, unassembled from a fourth year medical student here at Mizzou that ended up not needing it. He took $80 for it. I’m in IT at Mizzou so maybe that’s why he gave me such a good deal. Ha.

From all of my IT experiences I would have charged you double :rolleyes:

Ha.

Already “modding it.” Ha.
E030D420-6BFB-45BA-8C14-132AA6364680.jpeg
901DA1B5-AB08-4E91-9FB7-209576246593.jpeg
5E7A9F92-FCAD-4EF0-85D1-8A7A9FA90FD7.jpeg

Agree regional variations may come in to play. My wife got pulled over here in NV multiple times in one of our old vehicles because the aftermarket back up cam "obscured the license plate". It didn't obscure anything except maybe a one inch wide strip at the top of the plate. All you need is one bored human (read local cop looking for love and distraction) and a closed for repair fast food establishment and you have a problem. Roll of the dice but I think the highway patrol have generally better things to do. Well except in California and Nebraska for some odd reason. I think @J1000 got lucky :)
Here's a difference between me and your wife: I did it once and stopped, but your wife drove every single day with the back up camera like that. I'm not lucky I'm smart.

Here's a difference between me and your wife: I did it once and stopped, but your wife drove every single day with the back up camera like that. I'm not lucky I'm smart.

Actually I drove it every day and never got pulled over, she drove it 3 specific times and got pulled over each time. Then again I lack some basic assets she possesses. I will let her know you think shes not smart though and you can deal with her reaction. o_O

Testing it out on my Tundra with my newly-acquired Craigslist $35 beater MT’s.
3FD2C1D8-372E-4AAB-B68B-FD621BE873A9.jpeg
12A2620F-9C55-4A44-9923-5E8C308AB15A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom