Hilux LN109 - 3L engine - 10W-40 or 15W-40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

Just picked up a 1996 Hilux with the 3L naturally aspirated diesel engine.

No owners manuals and not a lot of history with it.

The previous owner doesn’t remember what type of oil he used but he thinks it was 15W-40. From most of online digging, it seems the 3L is supposed to have 10W-40.

So two questions:

1) Does anyone know for sure what type of engine oil 96 Hilux 3L is supposed to have?

2) If it is 10W-40 and I currently have 15W-40 in the engine, will going from the former to the latter be bad for the engine?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Im far from an oil expert but since nobody else has bitten on this thread...

I think youre overthinking it. The first number in a multi-weight oil is its winter-weight or cold weight. So that viscosity should only have a real effect between starting the truck and warming it up. In my experience L-series engines are grumpy bastards in the cold, so you should really let it warm up before driving anyway. Id also suggest that the naturally aspirated L-series engine is an absolute tractor and would probably run fine with an oil pan full of elmers glue. Im pretty sure Ive run both 10w-40 and 15w-40 and probably some 10w-30s as well in my 2LT and turboed 5L. Just make sure its diesel oil.

IMHO focus your anxiety on keeping the cooling system prime.

Congrats on the new truck!

Just make sure you use a good quality synthetic. I use Mobil 1 0-50W diesel oil in my 3L. It's thinner for cold winter starts.

Make sure you change the oil every 5000 kms or so. This is VERY important.

Rocky Mtn Hilux

I used 10w30 in mine - it always seemed happy with it. 15w40 is a little thick for the 3L from my memory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom