High pitched whine in an 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you have an exhaust whistle from the rear, immediately suspect your tailpipe opening may have rough edges. We used to measure DOT sound levels on passing cars at the proving ground and discovered even dull tooling cutting those tips would cause some cars to fail it. Take a file to the opening and round off any sharp edges. Obviously if you're wheeling, big chance you dragged it off a ledge and this could be it.

IdahoDoug

May sound simple, but check to see if all the engine belts are Toyota. I've had to replace a couple in a pinch with some car part store specials, and they whine like your driving an amusement park trolley. Got used to the noise a little, but went back to OEM belts after a few months; noise immediately went away.

The '97 I bought had a similar whine. It sounded like a electronic servo whine, buzzing during engine revs.

I took the LC up to Toyota today, and the shop super is a "passionate" LC owner. (Has a 40, 80 and 100 series - jesus.)

He said that it was an exhaust noise, and replacing it would make it go away, but there wasn't a good reason to have that maintenance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom