Hidden Winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another consideration is that the apex unit doesn't allow you to clock clutch lever. I'm not sure how those hidden winch units mount or how you're supposed to access the clutch but that could be a problem.

I'm not sure how the clutch handle is oriented on the HF winch, but the smittybilt handle sticks out the top. Open the hood and look down, and the clutch is right there on the right. You can see it in one of the pictures I posted.

Do you think there is a shorter length fairlead enough to fit in the center?

I don't know on that. Everything I have seen is a standard size because they are designed to be bolted to a bumper that has pre-drilled holes.

I did a similar "not that winch" install, with the 10K X20 and Trail Tailor HWM, on an early model LX470, I was expecting to have to relocate the control box, but was able to squeeze it in there.

Have you used the 10k x20 yet?
I'm thinking of picking one up. I can get one for around $50 more than gen 2 XRC 9.5 and I get 500lbs more, ip 68, and wireless controls.

I wanted to know how it has performed if you've used it. Also, I think I'll be fabricating my own mount (my brother the mechanical engineer/welder actually). I should be able to do it at significant cost savings.

Have you used the 10k x20 yet?
I'm thinking of picking one up. I can get one for around $50 more than gen 2 XRC 9.5 and I get 500lbs more, ip 68, and wireless controls.

I wanted to know how it has performed if you've used it. Also, I think I'll be fabricating my own mount (my brother the mechanical engineer/welder actually). I should be able to do it at significant cost savings.

Due to COVID19's affect on my getting out of the house, I have tested it with some "staged pulls", but really haven't really "had" to use it just yet.

Reusing an XLR connector as the control connector seems kind of "cheesy", and from what I understand a switch on the control box is a weak point, but overall, for my needs, I am still pleased with the purchase so far.

Yet another "not that winch" post, but I installed a smittybilt x2o 12k on a hidden mount from @TRAIL TAILOR. I did relocate the control box under the hood right in front of the air filter box - the x2o also has a box that generally sits on top of the winch but doesn't have to.

View attachment 2333246

View attachment 2333247

View attachment 2333248

For more information about winch please visit the website here www.jeepzine.com/best-winch-for-jeep-review/
Thanks for this post Angie! The content is very valuable.

Has anyone been able to successfully put this winch in a hidden winch configuration?

View attachment 2330619
Yes

IMG_3171.JPEG

IMG_3172.JPEG

IMG_3188.JPEG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom