Hickey sidewinder winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They were pretty popular back in the 70's.

Hard pulling winch...but developed a reputation for "pinching" the cable when spooling back in (despite what the ads say about the cable packing device).

Excellent winch for mounting between frame rails and behind bumpers.

Just realized the 2009 manual link is long dead, so dropping it here.

Hickey.jpg

Hickey (1).jpg

Hickey (2).jpg

Hickey (3).jpg

Johnny with the lit for the win! Again!

That is some really cool stuff. Anyone ever seen the power steering kit they've got there? It sure looks like saginaw, but it specifically states "no cutting or welding"

Dan
I was a 40 owner at the time when Vic was still building stuff. His kit, as I recall, used a power box with the tall sector shaft like the ones you find on old fords.
He would position the input just over the frame. There was an extension like what Advance Adapters has that would put the lower u-joint just beyond the cowl.
The boxes with the long sectors had issues with twisting the sector shaft or developing cracks in the casting.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

iu

I was a 40 owner at the time when Vic was still building stuff. His kit, as I recall, used a power box with the tall sector shaft like the ones you find on old fords.
He would position the input just over the frame. There was an extension like what Advance Adapters has that would put the lower u-joint just beyond the cowl.
The boxes with the long sectors had issues with twisting the sector shaft or developing cracks in the casting.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

iu

Just FYI that is not a C7*********** steering box. That part number is for the the torsion valve housing, not for the steering gear itself. The latest rev part number for that box is D9TZ-3504-C. That's a very rare steering box, used for 2 years.

Just FYI that is not a C7*********** steering box. That part number is for the the torsion valve housing, not for the steering gear itself. The latest rev part number for that box is D9TZ-3504-C. That's a very rare steering box, used for 2 years.
that's just an example of the long sector box. Scout had one as well as some Fords. I never used one personally. I did see them on 40s. I didn't really like the
the way they mounted up high . they interfered with some planetary winches. I did my first PS conversion in 1980 and used a GM car saginaw I took off a 73 Camero.
Back then when i was a starving kid all the steering boxes I used came from the junkyard. I don't think i ever new apart number for any of them. I just went by their looks.
I'm pretty sure Borgeson , Saginaw and Ford all built at least one similar gear

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom