Help with taking Hard Top off and installing Soft Top on 1969 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all! I am planning on removing my factory hard top and plugging in a soft top that was passed down to me by an awesome member, Temecula Tim. (Thanks Tim, youre the man!) I know the steps of removing the hard top and have some space for it to be stored but unfortunately I don't have room for a hoist (not allowed to install it as per condo rules) and, while I'm a pretty strong dude, lifting this thing safely off my rig and getting it into the storage space in my garage is by all accounts a real bear. I am in Eastlake (south county San Diego, 91913) I'd love to get this knocked out over the weekend (Oct 8-9) but I'm flexible on schedule. Weekend would be best as most people including myself are off. So I am posting this to ask the following:

1) Is anybody here willing to help me unbolt and remove and store my hard top?

2) Is anybody here willing to help me install the soft top bows and skin?

3) There's pizza (or chinese or hamburgers or hotdogs etc) and beer and booze in it for anybody willing to help a fella out.

I've got some basic tools but I've never removed an fj40 hard top or installed the bows and skins for an fj40 soft top so any help or expertice would be greatly appreciated.

You guys rock!

Thanks in advance!

Shawn

IMG_7200.JPG

Last edited:
Two questions... Where are you located and when were you thinking of doing it? I have removed my hard tops a bunch of times and could help if my schedule aligns.

I'm down in Eastlake / Chula Vista (south county San Diego, 91913)

A weekend would be best as most folks are off and able to relax and have a drink. Would love to do it this weekend, but I'm completely flexible.

Hope you got it removed. If not it's a 1 man job if you separate everything. Rear lift gate first...loosen up sides to tub...roof cap next...remove rear header...then side headers...then each main side panel.

Much easier to store broken down.

Takes a lot more time, but 1 person job that way.

Never got any help. I'm hoping to store it in one piece as I've heard its very difficult to get it all back to one if I ever need it down the road.

Never got any help. I'm hoping to store it in one piece as I've heard its very difficult to get it all back to one if I ever need it down the road.

Hi Shawn,

Pathetic to see that there has been 56 views for this thread and only 2 replies.

:meh: Guess its all about building post counts these days instead of helping others out >>>>>>>>...Sa <<<<<<<<<<

...sad thing is that post has received about the same number of visits. What a waste of bandwidth.............

Try posting up in the San Diego Cruisers section.... guys over there may be more helpful.

:steer:Tim

Hi Shawn,

Pathetic to see that there has been 56 views for this thread and only 2 replies.

:meh: Guess its all about building post counts these days instead of helping others out >>>>>>>>...Sa <<<<<<<<<<

...sad thing is that post has received about the same number of visits. What a waste of bandwidth.............

Try posting up in the San Diego Cruisers section.... guys over there may be more helpful.

Dude!!! not cool, if your not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. Calling out a group after 4-5 days and posting in other threads how bad we are. I remember when you came to meetings and joined rides, haven't seen you in 2-3 years and you post this up.

Shawn, glad to see you got a nice 40, sorry you missed our meeting last week as well, would love to see the rig. Not sure why Tim is so upset but I am sure we can rally some help somehow. Most of us are in the north county, work and have kids. So timing may be hard especially when we all have cruiser projects waiting to get completed. Good luck and maybe someone close can step up.

Shawn,

I too am one of the north county guys but I thought I'd share some of my experience at least. Something that is often overlooked is the lift required (an extra foot at least) to clear the pipe like extensions that socket in behind the doors. These things are diabolical and seem designed to ruin paint. Get tall help and let the air out of the tires.

Tip: a couple jack stands and a 2x4 work well in conjunction with those pipe extensions to keep the top level once removed.

Good Luck,

Gregg

Hi Shawn,

No worries, man. I appreciate all the help from you and from the forum. It's all good.

Shawn, glad to see you got a nice 40, sorry you missed our meeting last week as well, would love to see the rig. Not sure why Tim is so upset but I am sure we can rally some help somehow. Most of us are in the north county, work and have kids. So timing may be hard especially when we all have cruiser projects waiting to get completed. Good luck and maybe someone close can step up.
Yeah I was a dummy and wrote the day wrong in my calendar. Will try next month!

Shawn,

I too am one of the north county guys but I thought I'd share some of my experience at least. Something that is often overlooked is the lift required (an extra foot at least) to clear the pipe like extensions that socket in behind the doors. These things are diabolical and seem designed to ruin paint. Get tall help and let the air out of the tires.

Tip: a couple jack stands and a 2x4 work well in conjunction with those pipe extensions to keep the top level once removed.

Good Luck,

Gregg
Good advice. Sounds like a beast.

sdphill, sorry for the neglect. I know little about the 40 series hard tops so can't add any technical advice. And, I am guessing a wrench day wouldn't cut it (unless it was at your place) because then you'd be stuck with a hardtop off of your truck and no way to get it home. It doesn't help that Phulcrum and I have been building this adventure trailer which has sucked up every available weekend for the last year so.

If a weekend doesn't work out, maybe we can round up some folks and help you after work one day? Weekends are nice to get things done except around my house my wife realizes that and so I always have way more to do than ever gets accomplished. Sometimes I can escape after work more easily.

Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom