Help with my 97 LC

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Sean80, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Sean80

Sean80

Hoping somebody can help me. I getting an intermittent vibration coming from the front PS tire when driving. It sounds as if I am driving over corrugated road and stops when I take my foot of the gas. I rebuilt my knuckles about six months ago and I don’t do any off roading. I greased up my u-joints about a week ago too, having replaced both u-joints a year ago. If anybody has any ideas I would be extremely grateful.

2. gummycarbs

gummycarbs

Did you check for play in the wheel bearings and verify that the knuckle stud nuts are tight?

3. Tools R Us

Tools R Us

Sounds like a dry spindle bushing, is the moly grease level correct in the knuckles, should be 1/2-3/4 full.

4. Sean80

Sean80

I pulled/pushed the tires and there was no play. What do you mean knuckle stud nuts? Which ones are they? I am tired so excuse the stupid question.

5. jfz80

jfz80 bound to cover just a little more ground SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Dry spindle bushing or loose wheel bearing get my bet. You said no wiggle at 12 n 6 ocklock with wheel in air so id lean toward spindle bushing. Thats a tell tale sound of the bushing too.

Knuckle studs being mentioned are 4 on top and 4 on bottom of each knuckle. Go through your steering arm and trunion caps. Make sure no nuts have backed off and that the studs themselves are torqued.

6. inkpot

inkpot SILVER Star

There are only 2 knuckle studs on the top of stock 80 series knuckles. Older Cruisers an mini trucks did have 4 on top.

jfz80 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.