Help with AHC Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay so I'm having some issues with my AHC and looking for some advice before I start buying more parts. Had this 2011 LX 18 months, purchased at 78k miles now at 90k miles. When I first test drove it and knew nothing about AHC, the AHC light would flash as if it were changing heights after pressing the switch to go up or down and nothing would happen. This was when testing it at the lot. Was not a Lexus/Toyota dealership and the salesman had no idea what AHC was either. After playing around with it for a while it eventually started working. Did a PPI at Lexus and told them about it, but it tested fine and had been without issue for about a year.

Now about 2 months ago saw a small leak in the driveway, long story short this height control tube had rusted out.

height control tube.JPG

The vehicle has very litte rust and the rest of the lines look great. This height control tube is pretty high up against the body of the truck and when I visually inspected before purchasing I never got eyes on it. Two weeks ago after trying on my own I took it in and got the tube replaced. Lexus wanted $320 for parts and $800 for labor and said they weren't even sure if they could do it...... Purchased the parts for $200 and local shop did it for another $200. Since the repair, the truck has driven much smoother, I assume the damping was compromised because of the leak.

New issue is the truck won't go all the way into high and eventually regardless of what heights I'm changing between it will stop adjusting at all and just flash like it is changing heights normally but nothing happens. It will get stuck with the rear higher or sometimes one side higher. The rear seems to be much more responsive to height changes. If I turn the truck off for the day and start if the next day it will level off in normal mode. If I go to high it will move the rear up to what seems to be the normal height and start to move the front, but the front doesn't get the 2-3 inches higher, I'd say maybe an inch. After flashing High for a while it will finish up saying "N" on the dash. Now weird part is if I turn the truck off and then back on it will normally say "HI" after the restart without any changes in height. Even when it is working though it does not feel as smooth as before. For example when it was working flawlessly the front and/or rear would come up smoothly, both sides pretty much even with some minor left to right adjustments at the end before it would settle. Now I can usually feel the changes in all 4 corners if that makes sense.

In Techstream while conducting the active tests they all work great until eventually the system will become unresponsive again when testing any up or down function. No specific test will fail consistently. The gate valve, accumulators, etc. all open when tested. Only error codes I have received since the repair were last weekend, they were 1764 and 1765 which are due to hydraulic oil pressure getting too high (around 17 Mpa). This was during a test in Techstream raising the front by accumulator. This test pushed up the front higher then it would ever go under normal operation. Either way at the time it made sense because of the original issue of the rusted out tube. I figured contamination from the rust clogged the line going into the height control valve or clogged up the valves in the height control valve. Service manual says the same probable cause trouble areas for both codes:

- No. 1 height control valve (Each solenoid valve is stuck)
- Clog in the fluid line
- Suspension control ECU

That being said, I've watched the pressure since then and tested again today and pressure never went passed 12 Mpa. Exact same issues today during normal operation and during AHC tests in Techstream. No codes at all. Seems to do well moving between LO and N, but if I go to high it will not get there or if it does it won't go back to Normal height. It will drop a side and not the other or front and not the back, etc. I reset the ECU via Techstream and an hour long battery disconnect. Fluid has been replaced 3 times in the last 2 months.

I'm pretty far from a mechanic or an engineer so hoping someone can provide some expertise. At this point if I'm not convinced otherwise I'm going to assume there may be contamination in the height control valve no.1 and replace that since the rusted out tube that was replaced leads into it. I can get that part with the accumulator for around $300 on Ebay. Looking at the service manual it looks like a fairly basic removal and install that I can do myself. Planning to start with that and then maybe the ECU. I have attached my Techstream data for LO, Normal and HI if that helps anyone diagnose. I have done sensor lift and have bumper and winch on front. Thanks!

lo.JPG

N.JPG

HI.JPG

Last edited:
Have you checked the fluid level? Have you replaced/bled the fluid?
If the fluid levels are good I’m thinking pump.

clog also seems viable

It’s a lot of work but maybe pull the pump assembly and clean all the filters? If a rust glob fit into the filter that could cause this.

I was
Okay so I'm having some issues with my AHC and looking for some advice before I start buying more parts. Had this 2011 LX 18 months, purchased at 78k miles now at 90k miles. When I first test drove it and knew nothing about AHC, the AHC light would flash after pressing the switch to go up or down and nothing would happen. This was when testing it at the lot. Was not a Lexus/Toyota dealership and the salesman had no idea what AHC was either. After playing around with it for a while it eventually started working. Did a PPI at Lexus and told them about it, but it tested fine and had been without issue for about a year.

Now about 2 months ago saw a small leak in the driveway, long story short this height control tube had rusted out.

View attachment 2198574

The vehicle has very litte rust and the rest of the lines look great. This height control tube is pretty high up against the body of the truck and when I visually inspected before purchasing I never got eyes on it. Two weeks ago after trying on my own I took it in and got the tube replaced. Lexus wanted $320 for parts and $800 for labor and said they weren't even sure if they could do it...... Purchased the parts for $200 and local shop did it for another $200. Since the repair, the truck has driven much smoother, I assume the damping was compromised because of the leak.

New issue is the truck won't go all the way into high and eventually regardless of what heights I'm changing between it will stop adjusting at all and just flash like it is changing heights normally but nothing happens. It will get stuck with the rear higher or sometimes one side higher. The rear seems to be much more responsive to height changes. If I turn the truck off for the day and start if the next day it will level off in normal mode. If I go to high it will move the rear up to what seems to be the normal height and start to move the front, but the front doesn't get the 2-3 inches higher, I'd say maybe an inch. After flashing High for a while it will finish up saying "N" on the dash. Now weird part is if I turn the truck off and then back on it will normally say "HI" after the restart without any changes in height. Even when it is working though it does not feel as smooth as before. For example when it was working flawlessly the front and/or rear would come up smoothly, both sides pretty much even with some minor left to right adjustments at the end before it would settle. Now I can usually feel the changes in all 4 corners if that makes sense.

In Techstream while conducting the active tests they all work great until eventually the system will become unresponsive again when testing any up or down function. No specific test will fail consistently. The gate valve, accumulators, etc. all open when tested. Only error codes I have received since the repair were last weekend, they were 1764 and 1765 which are due to hydraulic oil pressure getting too high (around 17 Mpa). This was during a test in Techstream raising the front by accumulator. This test pushed up the front higher then it would normally go. Either way at the time it made sense because of the original issue of the rusted out tube. I figured contamination from the rust clogged the line going into the height control valve or clogged up the valves in the height control valves. Service manual says the same trouble areas for both codes:

- No. 1 height control valve (Each solenoid valve is stuck)
- Clog in the fluid line
- Suspension control ECU

That being said, I've watched the pressure since then and tested again today and pressure never went passed 12 Mpa. Exact same issues today during normal operation and during AHC tests in Techstream. No codes at all. Seems to do well moving between LO and N, but if I go to high it will not get there or if it does it won't go back to Normal height. It will drop a side and not the other or front and not the back, etc. I reset the ECU via Techstream and an hour long battery disconnect. Fluid has been replaced 3 times in the last 2 months.

I'm pretty far from a mechanic or an engineer so hoping someone can provide some expertise. At this point if I'm not convinced otherwise I'm going to assume there may be contamination in the height control valve no.1 and replace that since the rusted out tube that was replaced leads into it. I can get that part with the accumulator for around $300 on Ebay. Looking at the service manual it looks like a fairly basic removal and install that I can do myself. Planning to start with that and then maybe the ECU. I have attached my Techstream data for LO, Normal and HI if that helps anyone diagnose. I have done sensor lift and have bumper and winch on front. Thanks!

View attachment 2198601
View attachment 2198602
View attachment 2198603
recently looked though thread on Russian lexus website about AHC issues. There was few mentioning of people taking apart AHC pump and cleaning all valves and replacing seals. One person had rust from breather tube enter AHC pump reservoir and clogged pump internals.
also there was one case where LX570 AHC pump replaced with one from 470. Person reported faster speeds on raising and lowering of the car (12 seconds from 19 seconds it use to take). They had to mod pump to get it fit.

Have you checked the fluid level? Have you replaced/bled the fluid?
If the fluid levels are good I’m thinking pump.

clog also seems viable

Yes fluid is good and has been replaced 3 times in the last 4 months.

Pump seems to run fine and takes pressure up to 12 Mpa going from lo to normal no issues. It's my understanding that the pump pushes fluid to the height control valve and the ECU controls which of the 4 corners gets fluid from that line via the height control valve and the accumulator?? Also the fluid leaves and returns to the pump reservoir the same way? So the failure to raise and lower would mean the fluid is stuck due to a clogged line, stuck valve or the ECU isnt sending the signals properly? I'm reading up on the AHC more tonight but so far this is my understanding. Probably wrong tho.

Earlier today when attempting Normal to Hi the front didnt really come up at all.

20200202_202330.jpg

Last edited:
The symptoms and inconsistent behavior make this hard to diagnose.

Based on this diagram, previously failed part, and symptoms, I'd agree with you that it makes the central height control valve very suspicious. I would go down the path of sourcing those parts for replacement.

Just so it's ruled out, have you bleed and purged the Suspension Control Pump Accumulator Assembly? To make sure the system is not airlocked? Also confirm that the Pump and Motor Assembly are working consistently? Both are sources of high pressure fluid to the height control valve to help the system lift.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Screen Shot 2019-01-24 at 8.38.14 AM.png

The symptoms and inconsistent behavior make this hard to diagnose.

Based on this diagram, previously failed part, and symptoms, I'd agree with you that it makes the central height control valve very suspicious. I would go down the path of sourcing those parts for replacement.

Just so it's ruled out, have you bleed and purged the Suspension Control Pump Accumulator Assembly? To make sure the system is not airlocked? Also confirm that the Pump and Motor Assembly are working consistently? Both are sources of high pressure fluid to the height control valve to help the system lift.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

I think this is what I'm going to do first. Accumulator and height control valve is sold as one assembly on Ebay for $300 as a take off from a newer vehicle. This is a pretty low cost first step since I'm pretty sure I can do it myself. Looking at service manual and looking under the truck this weekend it all looks straight forward and accessible relative to other AHC parts. Just have to move some of the exhaust out of the way and there will be a lot of room to work.

Pump seems to be working fine, but looked at some of the small fittings on there and they have some rust. Not as confident I can clean the pump out without doing more damage. Worst case with this is I end up with a newer accumulator and height control valve but am back where I started. Have family visiting in 10 days so will hold off until then and will update furthering few weeks.

Last edited:
Just called Lexus dealership by my house and they will charge 150 plus tax to diagnose the issue. Thinking about doing this, but worried they will give me the wrong diagnosis due to unfamiliarity with AHC. Thoughts?

Was thinking on this yesterday. If the pump is fine then perhaps the pressure sensor is not reporting accurately(reports too high)?

Not much. Took it to Lindsay Lexus here in Alexandria to diagnose. They found a tiny leak from the new tube fitting, so slight that it hasn't dripped all week. Recommended replacing the next tube in line to the one recently replaced, bleed the system again and go from there. So basically they knew nothing about the system and couldn't give me a reason for the issues. I was able to go back in the garage area and speak to the lead tech. He admitted he hadnt ever worked on the 570 AHC. I ended up explaining to him quickly what was what while we looked under the truck. He agreed it didnt make any sense there are no codes when it fails.
I was quoted 175 for a diagnosis but left without being charged.

Going to bleed it one more time and if it still persists next step will be to replace that leaking tube along with the Height control valve since that tube leads directly into the height control valve. Will update in the next couple weeks after my in laws have come and gone.

Last edited:
Not much. Took it to Lindsay Lexus here in Alexandria to diagnose. They found a tiny leak from the new tube fitting, so slight that it hasn't dripped all week. Recommended replacing the next tube in line to the one recently replaced, bleed the system again and go from there. So basically they knew nothing about the system and couldn't give me a reason for the issues. I was able to go back in the garage area and speak to the lead tech. He admitted he hadnt ever worked on the 570 AHC. I ended up explaining to him quickly what was what while we looked under the truck. He agreed it didnt make any sense there are no codes when it fails.

Going to bleed it one more time and if it still persists next step will be to replace that leaking tube along with the Height control valve since that tube leads directly into the height control valve. Will update in the next couple weeks after my in laws have come and gone.
Any updates? I'm having a similar issue.

Any updates? I'm having a similar issue.

No, waiting on the height control tube that goes into the height control valve before I start taking things off. I think its height control tube no. 5 that I need. Going to lexus dealer this week to try to get eyes on the part and confirm. Then will be replacing height control valve which is what I got a code for in the original failure.

Do you have pictures of the line in question? Where/how can you see it from underneath the truck?

Do you have pictures of the line in question? Where/how can you see it from underneath the truck?

This is the only one I have. Here it connects to the tube running just infront of the rear axle. This connection is in front of the rear axle on the driver side of the truck and continues along the drivers side and connects to the height control valve which is right next to the exhaust behind a protective shield.

20200409_134923.jpg

Found the problem.

20200412_143033.jpg

Ha...yep that would do it. Did it just fall off? Or was it just hanging there by a thread?

Maybe @razzyrazz issue will be this simple? 🤞

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom