Help which rocker shaft bolt goes where? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.hertzlayton.com
Hey guys I have searched and searched but can't get a 100% answer. I'm installing the rocker shaft on a 84 2f and don't know which 10mm bolt goes where? They are obviously different. With different shoulders. Which bolt goes in rocker boss 2 and which goes in rocker boss 5?
FSM makes no mention.
image-779729280.jpg

Good question. I am not sure but it looks to me that one would allow for oil to reach up higher to a port for lubrication. I am just guessing though.

i would guess it doesnt matter. the one on the left is what is in the earlier 2F's. the oil passage goes through rocker stand #4 anyway and it goes through its own port. looks like they just tried to save some money on steel and got creative.

tried but no decent photo's in the parts manual but there different part numbers
Those are two different parts. Two different bolts for the two sides of each pillar.
as kruisinkid said, I don't think it matters which of those two pictured bolts you put in which position. Oil routes through the center of the 4th pillar.

Did you find an answer? Might be nice if you posted it one way or the other since you cross-posted this in the 60-section, too.

Hi
Rebuilding my 2F so I had a look to see what type of bolts I had.
The bolts fitted to my 2F are 10 mm x 73 mm with a 40 mm x 10.3 mm shoulder.
I looked into what the shoulder does and found it stops the rocker shaft from turning thus keeping the oil feed holes in line.
My conclusion is you have 2 different type of bolts. So it does not matter what hole you put it in.
I would check that the shoulder on the short bolt is long enough to contact the rocker shaft.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
image-1639626335.jpg
image-508961663.jpg
image-2056623878.jpg

Thanks for trying to help me out guys.
This is what I have found out. No oil flows through the rocker support on #2 or #5. And both bolts go through a notch in the rocker shaft to align the oil holes properly. With that said I did end up installing the bolt with the short shoulder in #2. I ran across this picture on the net (some general toyota valve train info with all different Toyota engines.) this image was for the 2f showing the rocker shaft torque procedure. It shows the short shoulder bolt in #2 but at the same time it does not show a long shoulder bolt in #5. So I am assuming this is how it would go.
So that's what I did.
I also used drill on the oil pump and got oil to come out of the rocker arms so I know I'm good.
image-2383603543.jpg

What they are showing in that pic is the short shouldered bolt can be identified by having the dimple in the top. And it goes in rocker stand #2.

BTW, 84-earlier engines have 2 identical shoulder bolts in positions 2 and 5.

What they are showing in that pic is the short shouldered bolt can be identified by having the dimple in the top. And it goes in rocker stand #2. BTW, 84-earlier engines have 2 identical shoulder bolts in positions 2 and 5.
thanks for the info Jim. The interesting thing is my short shouldered bolt does not have a dimple. It's flat just like the long shouldered bolt.

Maybe no dimple because it is an 84 and they were just starting to use the 2 different bolts? I know I noticed the dimple at first, especially because there is a drawing in the 3F book showing the dimpled bolt goes here. When it's not so frickin cold I'll try to find the drawing and maybe the bolts in a junk engine.

Maybe no dimple because it is an 84 and they were just starting to use the 2 different bolts? I know I noticed the dimple at first, especially because there is a drawing in the 3F book showing the dimpled bolt goes here. When it's not so frickin cold I'll try to find the drawing and maybe the bolts in a junk engine.

Probably so. It was built 10/83

Jim,

Curious--if the long-shouldered and short-shouldered bolts are/were able to switch places, what would happen to the oiling? Could an engine be destroyed by this?

Thx.

Did you find an answer? Might be nice if you posted it one way or the other since you cross-posted this in the 60-section, too.
Did you guys ever get to the bottom of what goes into number 5 position? I have an 85 and a bolt with a dimple on it. Im trying to figure out if I need to order 7 rather than 6 of the standard rocker bolts (with the 7s on top) if that's the one that goes in the number 5 position.

PS dimple screw is 72 mm in length and 8 in diameter... too short??

Might have answered my own question....

I found this other bolt similar in length, if you look at the initial photo on this thread they look identical to the pic up there.... I think the one on the right goes into number 2 hole (pun intended) and the other one into number 5. The rest are q x 6 of the number 7 screw and the 4 studs...

If someone can confirm I'm right Ill take an extra banana (pun intended)

Beehanger....

tempImagegOfROW.png

Might have answered my own question....

I found this other bolt similar in length, if you look at the initial photo on this thread they look identical to the pic up there.... I think the one on the right goes into number 2 hole (pun intended) and the other one into number 5. The rest are q x 6 of the number 7 screw and the 4 studs...

If someone can confirm I'm right Ill take an extra banana (pun intended)

Beehanger....

View attachment 3252214
Its this steel shaft with the nipple on it that inserts into the number 2 hole (pun heavily intended)

tempImageUMZ8cU.png

The bolt with the taper (dimple) goes into the rocker tower that is part of the oil circuit. It's so there's room for the oil to get past the bolt and up into the rocker shaft ...

IIRC the 2F FSM (brown one) has a diagram of where those bolts go.

VERIFY this in your FSM

1595269096117-png.2378102

ALSO ! be aware there's a NOTCH in the rocker shaft so it slide over the bolt. DON'T force the assembly on if it's not going. Should slide on.

It's so the oil holes are properly aligned.

1594917049908-png.2373669

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom