Help: troubleshooting power window problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.thecoldfish.com
I'm posting after reviewing the forum for information about power window failures over the course of months and trying several things. My hope is that someone can give me troubleshooting tips from their experience.

The PS front window in my 2004 has stopped responding to the DS power window master switch and the front PS switch. I would like to fix this, and I've tried several things.

1. fuses in the front PS cowl are fine,
2. a (cheapo) replacement power window master switch also fails to make the PS front window move,
3. visual inspection of the wiring from the DS master switch through the DS door and into the cabin reveals no kinks or broken wires (though I didn't do any multimeter continuity tests), and
4. testing the PS front window motor with a 12v power source can make the window roll down but not up more than a millimeter at a time (my local mechanic thought I wasn't using enough current to make it go up, though); to get the window back up, I hit the motor about a 100 times with a charge to make it inch back into a closed position,

It feels to me like this is a wiring issue, and that I didn't find the problem when I made my visual inspection of the wiring. (I unwrapped all the electrical tape and everything.)

Can anyone give me some guidance on what I can to do identify the problem? Should I be thinking about a new wiring harness? Is there a way I can do continuity testing of the origin harness that's in place? I have access to PDFs of the FSM, and welcome any pointers to guidance in those documents.

Thanks in advance for whatever suggestions people can share.

If the PS switch worked and the DS didn't, then I'd say you should be looking at the wiring in the driver's door. The fact that neither the DS or PS door switches work point to the fault being after those and towards the motor and wiring around it. Check for power at the motor when the switches are activated.

The wires can chafe and eventually break in the rubber boot that protects the wires between the chassis and door. Pull that boot back, one side at a time, and visually inspect the wires.

The wires can chafe and eventually break in the rubber boot that protects the wires between the chassis and door. Pull that boot back, one side at a time, and visually inspect the wires.
You're suggesting I do this on the PS door? (I tried to do that on the DS door.)

Wouldn't hurt to cross it off of the troubleshooting punch list

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom