Tailgate power lock problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a problem with my tailgate power lock it didn't work the day I bought the rig. So I drove to an Arab village to fix it. For many years I fix problems like this I go to this small shop that dose power locks, power windows and Glass work, Israeli mechanic will pull the bad part and will install a new one and take a lot of money, you don't have new part? Then piss off and he will charge you for diagnostics.

This guy fixes a thing that he can salvage and charges very little.

So I went there
Photo 25.9.2017, 15 34 46.jpg
Photo 25.9.2017, 15 08 59.jpg
Photo 25.9.2017, 15 07 56.jpg
Photo 25.9.2017, 14 59 29.jpg

The owner and his hand were preparing to eat so I had to join them fresh vegetables "BAMIA" and fresh local pita bread. It was so good that I took the pic towards the end. If you notice no personal
Dinnerware to most westerners will fail the exam like 2 year old toddlers :)
Photo 25.9.2017, 15 21 24.jpg

After that we went to work he worked and I watched and he opens the actuator and he was tost :(
The plastic gear was dead. Then he took care if the passenger side window that always was doing imitations of the turtle he cleaned the mechanism but told me that we will need to attend this in the future, then I showed him the absence of rubber seal on the driver window from the inside and he told me I better bay new OEM parts for the tailgate and driver window.

Here is the problem went to the EPC and it gives me 2 options

69790 - CONTROL ASSY, BACK DOOR LOCK

69790-60060 CONTROL ASSY, BACK DOOR LOCK W (REAR 3RD SEAT) (01/1992 - 01/1998)
Or
69790-60020 CONTROL ASSY, BACK DOOR LOCK

How can I tell what was the rig originally?

My guess, and that's all this is, is that the 3rd row version includes the child safety lock feature. Flipping a little switch on the underside of the lift gate makes it so you can only open the lift gate from the outside.

My guess, and that's all this is, is that the 3rd row version includes the child safety lock feature. Flipping a little switch on the underside of the lift gate makes it so you can only open the lift gate from the outside.

this would be my guess too. The child lock.

You lunch looks good. the windscreen with the bullet hole does not look good.

You can try this site: ToyoDIY.com

and enter your VIN number or just the trim level. It's a great resource for part numbers on non-US rigs.

You're saying 80's with 3rd row seats have a child lock toggle that disables the interior handle so the upper tailgate can't be opened from the inside? Interesting, I've owned 3 of these trucks but all had no 3rd row seats.

If the above is true, that's the OP's answer right there.

You're saying 80's with 3rd row seats have a child lock toggle that disables the interior handle so the upper tailgate can't be opened from the inside? Interesting, I've owned 3 of these trucks but all had no 3rd row seats.

If the above is true, that's the OP's answer right there.

Do you have a tailgate child safety lock feature on your rig?

My 95 has the toggle and 3rd row seats. I just replaced my lock actuator and had to get the correct one, but I knew my rig had the 3rd row.

Dino- did you enter your VIN? That should tell you if it came with 3rd row or not. Or, since yours does not have a 3rd row now just get the 60020 unit and you should be set. The 60060 unit should have the toggle on it. Mine did.

My 95 has the toggle and 3rd row seats. I just replaced my lock actuator and had to get the correct one, but I knew my rig had the 3rd row.

Dino- did you enter your VIN? That should tell you if it came with 3rd row or not. Or, since yours does not have a 3rd row now just get the 60020 unit and you should be set. The 60060 unit should have the toggle on it. Mine did.

"Dino- did you enter your VIN?" yes, I always do use it, it gives the best match

The confusing thing was that the title papers declare it 7 seats (and in Israel you will pay more customs than for the same car with 5 seats)

With old SUV in Israel it happened to me that the PO didn't need the extra seats, but needed the space and dispose of the 3 row seats.

"Dino- did you enter your VIN?" yes, I always do use it, it gives the best match

The confusing thing was that the title papers declare it 7 seats (and in Israel you will pay more customs than for the same car with 5 seats)

With old SUV in Israel it happened to me that the PO didn't need the extra seats, but needed the space and dispose of the 3 row seats.

If your truck was delivered to dealer with seating for 7, you'd have the 3rd row seatbelts and floor brackets and catches for the 3rd row seats fitted in place.

If your truck was delivered to dealer with seating for 7, you'd have the 3rd row seatbelts and floor brackets and catches for the 3rd row seats fitted in place.

FJ80 were never imported commercially and officially to Israel, there are less than 15 but only 12 operational. Some of the rigs were abandoned when everything finished and everybody left, on forgotten storage facilities with allot of surplus military equipment for years until sold in auctions

They arrived with UN forces, special US and IDF units etc. That means that Toyota Israel doesn't own me nothing and no spare parts available locally so if there was a dealer I don't know even which country it came from.

In any case my rig doesn't have the 3rd row seatbelt, but have floor brackets and catches

That's very interesting!

Man you are a very lucky guy to have such a huge and awesome vehicle in Israel.. We lived in Rishon LeZion back in 87-89 back then wee had a Cherokee we brought from California we used to get pulled over all the time people wanted to buy it from us... But we could not sell it since it was only temporary import (Benefit of getting the good stare down everywhere with Cali plates in Israel and an unusual at that time car) we used to make "Car Visa" runs to the Sinai Sharm el Sheik etc.. But yes we used to take it to the Arab villages to get any work done. They where cheap and knew how to fix anything with a pair of pliers and a screw driver.. Good memories.. Enjoy! I am jealous in a big and positive way!

Went out side now in the middle of the night in and took a pic of what I have on the tailgate upper door

I was hanging around outside the local Curves gym, as you do, and took a shot of my US-spec '94 that had 3rd row seating. Ignore the red and black wire in there (power wire for future LED lighting). You can see the black, plastic toggle switch for the child safety lock. Yours seems to have some kind of protrusion covering the same area. I'm guessing that you could put either lock mechanism in there. The switch doesn't move very far, and it looks like the protrusion on yours would clear the switch.

i.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom