HELP! Starter Problems? I Think... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think this is my starter but not sure. For a some time now when I would start my cruiser (when it was cold, maybe sitting for a couple of days) I might get a click and then the next time I turned the key it would start. Sometimes it would happen a couple of times and then it would start. I started with cleaning the terminals, I had the battery load tested and after a few days sitting I put a volt meter on the battery and the battery check out fine. It seems like it is happening more now that the weather is getting cooler, I'm now really sure if that's a factor, it could be that the 290,000 miles is starting to wear the starter out. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

I think I may need to address this because yesterday I made about 10 attempts before it started. The click almost seems like the battery is weak but I know now it isn't

I had similar issues...

tons of youtube videos on testing a starter outside a vehicle (basically jumping the terminals with a screwdriver).

starter comes out super easy - simply remove batter contacts and two bolts on the bell housing.
dissecting the starter is equally as easy on a bench....

I tried the rebuild kit and indeed the contacts were near goners - but also the bendix / gear that engages the flywheel
completely fell apart when I removed it - so in the end (thanks amazaon prime) I got a remanufactured OEM starter.

Bf

Most often the click is worn contacts and/or plunger, kits are commonly available. When they are worn, care is needed, when the motor is started, the plunger can stick causing the starter to stay on, the battery cable needs to be pulled to stop it. When the starter is on with the motor running it will over speed the starter, can self destruct causing a dead to battery short, fire.

^^^What they said^^^

From previous Cdan and Beno posts:

2.0kW FZJ-80 1FZFE starter (28100-66060) rebuild kits and plunger:
(most US FZJ80's had this starter)

Plunger 28235-54380
Starter kit 28226-66060
Starter kit 28226-72010

2.2kW FZJ-80 starter (28100-66050) rebuild kits and plunger:
(1993 only FZJ80)

Plunger: 28235-35080
Starter kit: 28226-76100
Starter kit: 28226-54100

Last edited:
I had the same issue and used to use a stout stick to slightly push the starter to get better contact and voila it used to start. I got a second hand unit from a scrapped cruiser and thank God the problems gone away. Was stuck in front of a brothel once and was supposed to pick the wife, so you can imagine my response when she called me asking where I was. :)

Thanks for all the replies. I really don't have time to mess with this in the middle of hunting season especially with the rut so near. I think I will go with a rebuilt or remanufactured starter. I can throw that in quick and easily and not be down for an extended period. I'm sure the rebuilding is fun and easy but with 290k on this I may be better off with a rebuilt or remanufactured starter done by the pros. Any suggestions on a rebuilt or remanufactured starter.

It takes 15 minutes once the starter is off the truck. I just did it yesterday. I bought contacts and plunger from the local Toyota Dealership and completely fixed my issue. Here is a small write up Starter Rebuild

The dealer seems pretty pricey. Any suggestions were else I can get the plunger and contacts?

Will this work?
Screen%20Shot%202016-10-20%20at%205.20.02%20PM_zps6eq5wiex.png

Last edited:
Have used the generic contact kits with good results, they are just bent copper, so not rocket science. The plungers are sometimes wrong in the kits, too long/short, whatever, but they don't wear as fast as the contacts, so often not really needed.

Yeah I tried to contact @beno but never heard back. It ended up around $70 for the OEM plunger and contacts. Better than the $297 they wanted for the whole starter.

The dealer seems pretty pricey. Any suggestions were else I can get the plunger and contacts?

Will this work?
Screen%20Shot%202016-10-20%20at%205.20.02%20PM_zps6eq5wiex.png

Paid $95 for a beautiful rebuilt Denso from Rock Auto (after core)

Yeh but $5.99.... I know the contacts should be just copper, maybe there copper coated. Toyota parts for the plunger and the contacts are @ $50. Still cheaper than a rebuilt. It would be nice to know thats all they should cost. I'm not familiar with these parts but they look like they're simple science and engineering. Now if someone has used them, that could be good.

It could be the ignition switch but with the switch harness removed per the instructions i imagine are in that thread, you can easily figure out how to hotwire your rig. It will be immediately apparent if the switch is the problem or not, without having to first buy the switch.

If it IS the switch, I can make you a deal on an open-box brand new switch. guess why.

On my truck, i haven't removed the starter yet, but simply cleaning and re-torquing the battery terminals resolved all the no-start issues i was having.

Could also be corroded terminals on the fusible links, but i replaced mine as PM a couple years ago.

these trucks are over 20 years old. There are a bunch of possible points of resistance between the battery and the starter solenoid. Any combination of those can eventually get to a point where you can't always start. Re-working any of the major ones may do enough to get you back to reliable starting.

Best of luck.

It could be the ignition switch but with the switch harness removed per the instructions i imagine are in that thread, you can easily figure out how to hotwire your rig. It will be immediately apparent if the switch is the problem or not, without having to first buy the switch.

If it IS the switch, I can make you a deal on an open-box brand new switch. guess why.

On my truck, i haven't removed the starter yet, but simply cleaning and re-torquing the battery terminals resolved all the no-start issues i was having.

Could also be corroded terminals on the fusible links, but i replaced mine as PM a couple years ago.

these trucks are over 20 years old. There are a bunch of possible points of resistance between the battery and the starter solenoid. Any combination of those can eventually get to a point where you can't always start. Re-working any of the major ones may do enough to get you back to reliable starting.

Best of luck.

Good point but I think with the research I've done, there's even some videos on YouTube. I think rebuilding the solenoid is the best bet right now. It's got almost 300k on it.

Use a Denso starter reman. But more or Les the butt ring on rear of the butt of the column goes bad. Standard automotive sales them on parts geek but there Taiwan same with cylinder for which get key stuck so dealer is was to go. An if you do the key don't rekey it to match. They have to drill it. An people cant vin cut it. There's a relay to if I ember correctly up on drivers side a pillar. Don't know how much you love your yota but if not someone will. I have people waitn for my builds. Good luck hunting

I get you on the idea of waiting post-rut. Esp w/ moon the prev few nights.

If you can find a metal bar to snake down to the starter, carry that & a hammer.

That way if either you hit a dead spot the key over won't cure (or a stuck engaged plunger) - you have a quick way to get a solid thump on the case & band-aid the situation for that moment.

I tired a reman from advanced and that didn't work, and youll waste more time probably going this route.
its beyond simple to remove the starter and rebuild it. I would stick to oem Toyota contacts and plunger. I just did mine a month'ish ago. Make sure they give you the contacts and plunger in the Mr.T baggies. Oh and triple check that the contacts stay planted to the 'floor' of the starter as you tighten the contact posts.

Also, double check your fusible link/battery connection terminals are nice and shiny.

I get you on the idea of waiting post-rut. Esp w/ moon the prev few nights.

If you can find a metal bar to snake down to the starter, carry that & a hammer.

That way if either you hit a dead spot the key over won't cure (or a stuck engaged plunger) - you have a quick way to get a solid thump on the case & band-aid the situation for that moment.

Keeping a small hammer in the back of the truck now. That was the first thing I did when I started to have this problem. Worried I could get stranded somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom