Help replacing speedometer cable (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The cable could get some oil form the transmission but I don't see that happening, I have a can of graphite based lube and also teflon.
No wet oil as it gums up and stores dirt/dust.
From below it is easy to get to and then turn cable, or replace as sound might indicate it is worn out.

I have to release the tierip next to the transmission to have enough space:

file.php

So you are thinking that the high pitched squeaking is your speedo? When mine went out it was more of a low hum/grunting type noise. That sounds like it might be something else. Easy test is to take the gauge mount off and disconnect the speedo cable from behind the gauge and see if you still hear it.

So this is the tools I used, plus bailing wire. Disconnected cable from Transfer case and Dash board, pulled cable from underneath, through grommet with cable slide. Removed rubber grommet, with baling wire ran it through the wall and connected cable to it with duct tape to keep aligned. Used long angled pliers to get it through and to reinsert as final stage grommet with cable slide. Following attaching ends to its appropriate place. About a 50-55 min ordeal.

IMG_7908.jpeg

IMG_7903.jpeg

IMG_7904.jpeg

IMG_7907.jpeg

IMG_7906.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom