Help - Radio and Nav won't turn off - even after removing key and exiting vehicle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Help please -

Background -two days ago it was 3 degrees and my LX was outside overnight. Started fine, but Nav screen was black, no digital readout on center dash, and radio would not work.

Drove 10 minutes - heat warms up the cabin (thankfully) and Nav, temp displays and radio start working.

After parking for 3 hours, get back in and realize radio did not shut off that morning. Next morning the battery is dead as apparently the nav screen never shut off overnight.

so - I charged the battery and moved it into the warm garage today. Disconnected the battery to hopefully reset whatever had gone wrong, and charged battery back to 100%

No luck - when I exit the vehicle the nav screen is still active and radio still playing....

Dome light seems to work properly, so I don't suspect it is a door switch

Ideas?????

I have no idea but these electrical gremlins are pushing me back towards an 80 or earlier.

ok - great idea- I checked the key switch to make sure I have positive clicks in each position - I do.

Addl info - I turn off and remove the key - nav, radio, temp display and power outlet all go OFF. I get out and close the door - they remain off -
However - I come back five minutes later - nav, radio, temp display and power outlet are all back ON (I haven't opened the door and my key is still in my pocket)

I do not have any aftermarket accessories or add-ons that would feed power back.

other ideas?

'03 LX

I doubt the key switch is turning on it's own to the accessory position although it seems consistent that something re-energizies the accessory circuit (nav screen and radio etc) 4-5 minutes after turning off and removing the key and exiting the vehicle.

I am looking at the wiring diagram for an 06. Should be real similar. The ACC power comes from the battery through the ignition switch and it hits 2 ACC relays that should be in the floor area. While it was on I would smack the ACC relays and the ignition to see if one was sticking. There is a 7.5 amp fuse that runs all those items you listed and it is only switched by the key and relays.

good plan - I will tap on the relays in the morning. Thanks

UPDATE

Well the battery again died overnight apparently from the nav/radio etc. coming on again after I parked it.

so - charged it enough to start it and drove to advance auto. Took battery out and did a Full charge on their charger (4 hours). Tested it after charging and it has 600 cold cranking amps (out of 700 it is rated for). It passes as a good battery on their machine.

reinstalled battery and the problem has disappeared - so far the Nav / radio has not self activated after I park the car - hopefully it is back to normal.

I may have had a sticking relay - any Idea where the Accessory relay(s) is/are located? I checked the three fuse boxes but no relay found for accessory.

I have attached a photo of the schematic that feeds the 7.5 amp ACC fuse. You can see it is switch through the ignition switch, ACC Cut relay and then the ACC relay. The ACC Cut relay is a normally closed set so in my mind that leaves either the ACC relay or the ignition switch as the culprit. The ACC relay is located in the LH cowl kick panel. The ACC Cut is located on the right side. I have attached a photo of the locations and what the ACC relay will look like once you get down there.
Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 8.59.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 9.09.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 9.10.47 PM.png

Thank you - I greatly appreciate your assistance and the visual aids. Will update tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom