Help please - rear lift & tail gate won’t unlock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Amacfly

Threads
hey guys, I’m completely stuck, I have tried ever idea to open the rear of the FJ80 but nothing I try from inside or out will allow me to open the back tailgate.

Any helpful suggestions or ideas most welcome, was just getting ready for a trip, and now can’t open the back!

What exactly happens? The latches don't move, or they move but it doesn't do anything? Is the rear indicator switch up?

Not had issues with my 80 series, but with my Toyota Sequoia. Sounds like the lever stuck or there's no travel in the cable that pulls the mechanism when you pull the handle. You may have to go inside and remove the back panel to get to it... a pain in the butt, for sure. You'll be able to see the cable and give it a tug and see if that opens it. If so, I just added a few lock washers to the tail end to take up the slack and it continued to work well for a year until I sold it. I also had issues with it sticking because of all the dirt that had built up in the lever mechanism, causing it to move slow and not snapping back, so it would stick open or shut. I sprayed the heck out of it repeatedly with WD40 then would let it drip out, or swab it with a cotton swabs; it was crazy how much grime was in there! it finally got it's spring back after that. I hope it's something as simple as mine (it happened while my son's youth group took it on a camping trip, so I get it!)... Good luck!

I was thinking that, tried the key from the outside, it lifts the 'stick' inside, but the latch just doesn't engage, from inside it just never feels like it catches, locked or unlocked feels the same.

Do you have compressed air to use some WD & blast it a bit (don’t make a slick, just a few shots both air/thin lube)?

Do you have any extra copies of keys to try?

Tried all that, and the still nothing. The keys lift and lower the lock stick on the inside, but nothing else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom