HELP PLEASE! I'm stuck in the wilderness with a dead fxj80 (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Update 1/24/17: I'm home safe. Had to get towed 190 miles. A disappointing end to a long anticipated trip.

Original Post:
Hey Guys
I'm stuck on a trail in panamint valley by Death Valley. I was going along in my '97 land cruiser at a good pace when I hit a bump pretty hard, hard enough to bottom out the rear end. The truck shut off instantly and coasted to a stop.

The engine turns over but it won't start.

Is there a crash sensor on these things that kills spark or fuel? Can it be reset?

We pulled the spark plug lead but couldn't get it to arc when touching the lead to ground. We tested that the coil is getting 12 volts.

It also seems the fuel pump may not be pressurizing. We don't hear it when we turn on the ignition. We pulled the line at the rail, but no fuel came out when putting the key in the run position. However, fuel came out when we cranked the engine, but it didn't shoot out hard, more like it poured out like a hose turned on slightly

Please help!

Last edited:
Was in your shoes recently wish I was closer to help, it sucks but at least you have cell coverage

Not all toyotas pressurize the fuel rail on 'start'. I certainly know that my mum's old corolla only runs the fuel pump on crank and when engine is running. These are high pressure (not high volume) fuel pumps.

2nd checking the fusible links as per tool's post.

Check other fuses AND EFI fuse. If you had a big bump and you have a short to the EGR pipe etc due to burnt/melted harness you can pop the EFI fuse.

cheers,
george.

First check, fusible links. With the key turned to run does the CEL light up?
Where are these fusible links and what do they look like? Any chance of a pic?

Fusible links are RIGHT ON THE +VE of the battery. The 3 smaller wires that bolt to the +VE terminal that go to a small black box. The wires from the terminal to that black box etc are your 3 fusible links.

I'll look for a pic for you if someone else doesn't post it up. DO you HAVE CEL LIGHTING UP with key to ON ??

cheers,
george.

We have checked the fuses at the obd port by the drivers shin and the fuses in the fuse box by the battery. All are ok. How could you tell if the big round efi relay is busted?

I c
Fusible links are RIGHT ON THE +VE of the battery. The 3 smaller wires that bolt to the +VE terminal that go to a small black box. The wires from the terminal to that black box etc are your 3 fusible links.

I'll look for a pic for you if someone else doesn't post it up. DO you HAVE CEL LIGHTING UP with key to ON ??

cheers,
george.
we checked those and they appear intact. All electrical circuits, features seem fine throughout the vehicle

Ignition fuse? The disable links are the little wires off of your positive terminal. It is safe to assume you done have backup giving you don't know what it is but hope you have some wires laying around to just bridge it to get you going.

Anyone/any other rigs you went with? Mope you didn't go solo, it's a long walk to get spare parts.

Where are these fusible links and what do they look like? Any chance of a pic?
Uh oh, this is going to be a long thread!

FL's are attached to the + side of battery. There are 3 of them. Give them a bit of a tug. Not stupid hard but harder than a baby could pull on them Also, is your CEL illuminating when key is turned to ON?

They look like ->

landcruiser-fusible-link-2-jpg.680134

and are right at the battery like I posted above.

MEASURE, don't just check visually...

cheers,
george.

Can anyone confirm whether or not these have a crash sensor that can shut down fuel and or spark if the truck experiences a crash or hard hit?

They look like ->

landcruiser-fusible-link-2-jpg.680134

and are right at the battery like I posted above.

MEASURE, don't just check visually...

cheers,
george.

What should the measurements be?

CEL/MIL light come on with key on, as others have said, is the first go-nogo step to check. No CEL means a blown fuse or fusible link or open connection in one of the critical ECU circuits.

Uh oh, this is going to be a long thread!

FL's are attached to the + side of battery. There are 3 of them. Give them a bit of a tug. Not stupid hard but harder than a baby could pull on them Also, is your CEL illuminating when key is turned to ON?

Yes, cel is on

...Anyone live near by?

The only things close to Panament Valley are the ghost town of Ballart (population: 2 old miners) and Panamint Springs (population: 5 or so).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom