• reinstate the 45!

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • geo getro and get kicked in the nuts

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • bacon

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm coming out of lurk mode for a some guidance from my cruiser brethren.. my 45 has been sitting lonely in a storage lot for the last 4 years or so and i feel it's time to do something about it... right now i'm driving a 1990 2 door 4runner as my dd but might be selling it this weekend, leaving me in need of a new daily driver.. by putting the 45 back on the road i'll also have it in running condition so i can take it wheeling this summer and of course to the 45 run, or i can pick up a s***box geo getro and daily drive that and regret every second i spend in it...

so.. what do i do??? :bounce2:

and im really not tooo concerned about gas as i live fairly close to work and my 3.slow 4runner only gets about 16mpg anyways..i can always do a tbi or ls motor swap in the 45 if i get concerned about mileage

And your wallet....

You already know the answer. Just do it, and quit whining about it.

Mine is my daily driver and my family's main mode of transportation, despite also having a Honda Pilot and Civic. The cruiser sees twice as much mileage as both of the others

Mine is my daily driver and my family's main mode of transportation, despite also having a Honda Pilot and Civic. The cruiser sees twice as much mileage as both of the others

:beer: :beer: :beer:

My FJ40 was my DD for 26 years, til I bought my 45LV in 2004. Then my LV was my DD. If you're gonna drive you might as well love what you're driving... but you already know that.

ok,, the 45's a go... gonna rescue it from storage hopefully this thursday.. now i need parts..

anyone have a gas tank for it? it's a 65. will a 40 tank work?

I have been told an S-10 tank will work and fit under the truck inside the frame rails.

40 tank should work. The poly tank is a great remedy for the old metal tank.
Mike

i'd opt for the s10 tank also. the 40 tank will fit but the filler neck is in a different spot. so you'd have to modify it.

the later model s10 tanks hold about 20 gallons and they have the fuel pump and sender already in them. they do fit between the frame rails in the back of the chassis. that option would also allow for more room and less fumes in the cab.

stoked to hear you're back inthe 45 dude! :beer:

:bounce:yanked the motor/tranny/tcase tonight,, i forgot how damn heavy those things are :eek: next up is cutting off the old mounts and cleaning everything up then hitting the yards on tuesday for some steering stuff, brake stuff, engine stuff and axle stuff,, should be done in 3 weeks :rolleyes: (if i cut sleep out all together)

:bounce:yanked the motor/tranny/tcase tonight,, i forgot how damn heavy those things are :eek: next up is cutting off the old mounts and cleaning everything up then hitting the yards on tuesday for some steering stuff, brake stuff, engine stuff and axle stuff,, should be done in 3 weeks :rolleyes: (if i cut sleep out all together)

Between the Singing, Fire, Bull's Tailgate bar, Raffle, Mud Pit, Fishing, Handshaking, Hangover, and overall great Time you should be able to catch a few hours sleep at the 45 run. So you have that to keep you going. Let us know if we can help you with anything :cheers:

Peter, you got a digicam? Pics please.

Between the Singing, Fire, Bull's Tailgate bar, Raffle, Mud Pit, Fishing, Handshaking, Hangover, and overall great Time you should be able to catch a few hours sleep at the 45 run. So you have that to keep you going. Let us know if we can help you with anything :cheers:

i can't wait! i will be there one way or another!

Peter, you got a digicam? Pics please.

forgot to take pics of the old motor being relieved of duty,, i'll snap a few of me gutting the rest of it for the purists :D and post some pics of this phase of the 45's life

this outta light a fire under your arse!
IM000378.jpg

got some work done today,, hit the bone yard at 8, got a tilt column and brake booster taht will hopefully clear the rib on the firewall.. also have a line on a complete tpi motor/accesories/harness,, if it's still available friday it's all mine..

cleaned up the frame some more, still need to wirewheel and paint it once i get my engine mounts welded in... (basicaly cleaning up what that 18 year old hack did 6 years ago :lol:) and got my column partially mounted.. pics to follow

:grinpimp:

here's a start:
rightside.jpg

engine compartment:
enginecompartment.jpg

looong suburban column shift column in, still need to make firewall mount for it:
column.jpg

anyone need any of this??:
stuff.jpg

Last edited:
Very Cool ! keep up the good work , and the pictures coming. again if you need anything post it and maybe we can find it for you. Looking forward to seeing it on the road.

quick update, the revised/improved shackle reversal is done, column officially mounted for good, p/s plate made and mounted-waiting on u-joints for the steering shaft (hopefully tomorrow), got a free carb'd motor and cleaned it up a bit, got some mounts from georg and hopefully will throw the motor in tuesday. my booster/master should be done sat. morning, but here's a pic of what i picked up today, guess you could call it a true N.O.S. part, still new in box original quadrajet w/ electric choke.. i'll put up some more pics manana :beer:

carb2.jpg

carb.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom