Help identifying sound from 4wd (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In high range (normal operation) I get a squeal/Shimmy/shake in the drive train while in reverse only. It’s as if it slips a little bit then engages. I have read in the searches that some slippage is fairly common in reverse from time to time but the sound concerns me. It feels like it’s coming from the transfer case area and something is slipping prior to engaging. It doesn’t do it while in 4LO. I have a video of it but I can’t post it on here but I’m sure I could text it. I have a 97 LX450. 4wd works no problem just want to make sure what’s going on and repair it if need be. Any ideas?

Thank you! Anyone figure out a fix?

I've got this as well in my '97. May try the pressure increase adjustment in the tranny if I can find it in the FSM or on the forum. Anyone report that this pressure adjustment actually fixed/improved the short squeak sound heard?

I've had the exact same noise. It's always some benign situation that shouldn't require 4L to get out. Like reversing over a fairly small rock. I shift into reverse and slowly build up the revs to gently go over it. Instead I get greeted by the most horrible screech.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom