Help fluttering noise when accelerating (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
About 3 weeks ago i started to get a really annoying new noise when accelerating. 1st was just hoping it'd go away, but it hasn't. I also haven't been able to figure out what the cause is as it's somewhat sporadic when it happens. It'll go away for days at a time, then comes back. Here is what i know. Sounds like a fluttering noise, best i can describe it.

• 2008 land Cruise
• 125k miles ish
• Usually hear the noise around 1500rpm, usually around 25 mph. It did happen a couple times at highway speed
• Usually when the engine is cold, but has also happened when it was not cold. I live in AZ, so it's never that cold
• 100% of the time its when i accelerate

Any ideas on what to look into? The noise started about 3 weeks ago. It started the day after i replaced my rear brake pads, but i can't think of anything with that related. The noise has been eating away at me, driving me a bit crazy.

here is my youtube post so you can hear:

I’ve got something similar coming from my B-pillars on both sides. Can’t figure it out. Have you tracked down the location of the noise?

exhaust leak a possibility. No i haven't tracked down where exactly its coming from. I was thinking of buying a go pro just for diagnosing things like this so i could attach to various areas. I'll inspect the exhaust a bit and see

exhaust leak a possibility. No i haven't tracked down where exactly its coming from. I was thinking of buying a go pro just for diagnosing things like this so i could attach to various areas. I'll inspect the exhaust a bit and see
As for a GoPro, buy an Amazon knock off that has good ratings. We affectionately call them NoPros. For the 50 to 60 bucks, they are fantastic.

As for a GoPro, buy an Amazon knock off that has good ratings. We affectionately call them NoPros. For the 50 to 60 bucks, they are fantastic.
yeah i was gonna look for a used one on offerup. I dont plan to use for anything else but diagnosing rattles and noises. Good idea on the Nopro, any suggestions which one?

yeah i was gonna look for a used one on offerup. I dont plan to use for anything else but diagnosing rattles and noises. Good idea on the Nopro, any suggestions which one?
This NoPro has over 10,000 ratings averaging 4.5 stars. $59.99

Mine makes the exact same noise. LX570 with 198K km (123k miles). It only comes from driver side A pillar / behind the steering wheel area. I showed it to my mechanic, he said: there is nothing obvious and it is really hard to track down... I learned to live with it since then.

Mine makes the exact same noise. LX570 with 198K km (123k miles). It only comes from driver side A pillar / behind the steering wheel area. I showed it to my mechanic, he said: there is nothing obvious and it is really hard to track down... I learned to live with it since then.
driving me crazy, makes it sounds like an old car! well after i get my GoPro/NoPro i'll try mounting in various areas. Yeah i didnt want to bring to my mechanic because the noise is so inconsistent i figure it's almost def that it wouldn't make the noise if i brought it. Also just revving in neutral i can't get it to make the noise, only happens when driving which is odd

Same vehicle, same mileage, same noise in the same location. Glad it's not just me

I'd say let's get to the bottom of this now that we have a thread. I'll check for leaks in exhaust pipes. (I'm lucky it is freezing up here so I should be able to find any leak easily).

I'd say let's get to the bottom of this now that we have a thread. I'll check for leaks in exhaust pipes. (I'm lucky it is freezing up here so I should be able to find any leak easily).
i second that notion, i'm with you

Check your windshield plastic all the way around. It may flutter once you get up to speed.

Did a 5 minute visual check on the exhaust. No holes that I can see. Could still be a leak at any of the fittings. I heard you can do a check by spraying soap water on and then reving will try that next.

Sound like the exhaust manifold is cracked.
well if i need a new manifold it'd at least be a good excuse to also finally put my new starter in. I'll check tomorrow, was gonna hook my leaf blower up and try the soapy water trick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom