HELP: Engine Whine...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wife's 80 has a steady whine. I'm thinking it's the idler pulley and I'd like to replace it. I've also heard non-OEM belts can cause this. Anyone with thoughts on this and/or know the part number?

THX,

Brian

Call any one of the Toyota dealers listed in the Vendor section for part #s...and to purchase. They'll all ship and are great to work with. Identify yourself as a "Mud user.

As for the whine...it could be anything. But a bad idler pulley and not properly adjusted and/or non-OEM belts are definitely culprits.

I have a not-constant whine from my truck...it's the steering pump, which has a leak and therefore runs dry, the whine is the pump wanting some steering fluid. I know what it is...and it will get repaired at some point...but this is likely not your whine as your whine is constant.

More information as you dive into this will definitely assist with solving the issue...post up after you've had some fingers under the hood.

Call any one of the Toyota dealers listed in the Vendor section for part #s...and to purchase. They'll all ship and are great to work with. Identify yourself as a "Mud user.

As for the whine...it could be anything. But a bad idler pulley and not properly adjusted and/or non-OEM belts are definitely culprits.

I have a not-constant whine from my truck...it's the steering pump, which has a leak and therefore runs dry, the whine is the pump wanting some steering fluid. I know what it is...and it will get repaired at some point...but this is likely not your whine as your whine is constant.

More information as you dive into this will definitely assist with solving the issue...post up after you've had some fingers under the hood.

Yeah, that's a good point. I had a leaky PS pump before, but that was buttoned up. I'll check my fluid again just for a sanity check.

I did new belts, but at separate times, so I could have dug my own grave on this one. I'll fiddle with my tensioner setting ... and maybe douse the pulley with WD-40 (just kidding).

Thanks for the guidance.

Brian

Had a constant whine, it was the A/C idler pulley bearing, $3 to replace and the alternator pulley which has a non replaceable bearing. So I pulled it off and haven't put it back on. No big deal.

Had a constant whine, it was the A/C idler pulley bearing, $3 to replace and the alternator pulley which has a non replaceable bearing. So I pulled it off and haven't put it back on. No big deal.

Interesting ... that's one way to test if it's the noise-maker. It doesn't event seem to act like a tensioner either ... just sort of skims the edge of the belt. May have to try that.

The alternator belt idler pulley is believed to help dampen belt vibrations. Several people have removed it entirely with no ill effect.

Does anyone have the A/C idler pulley bearing part number?

The alternator belt idler pulley is believed to help dampen belt vibrations. Several people have removed it entirely with no ill effect.

Hey just a belated follow-up on this. I removed the pulley ... and it was worn pretty bad and making a lot of noise. A word of caution though - you need to seal the hole up as motor oil leaks out once your remove that bolt. I didn't notice for nearly a month until my driveway was starting to show oil puddling. I replaced the bolt but still get drips from the spot. I guess I'll get a replacement, or put a proper seal in place.

Brian

Not sure what the deal is, but i pulled mine a couple months back and it has not leaked any oil? I don't think that mount location is open to any oil source. The area that is leaking, have you cleaned it good and monitored for the leak source? It sounds like it could be the oil pump cover seal which is the culprit.

Hey just a belated follow-up on this. I removed the pulley ... and it was worn pretty bad and making a lot of noise. A word of caution though - you need to seal the hole up as motor oil leaks out once your remove that bolt. I didn't notice for nearly a month until my driveway was starting to show oil puddling. I replaced the bolt but still get drips from the spot. I guess I'll get a replacement, or put a proper seal in place.

Brian

Yeah I definitely agree that it is either your A/C idler pulley, belts, or alternator idler pulley. However if you are running the upgraded 130/150 amp alternator, the belts shouldn't touch the alternator idler pulley, at least mine didn't. Remember, although Gates is a good brand, the belts are cogged which will make a whine when running so stick with OEM. I just changed my belts and A/C idler pulley and the 80 is quieter, its like night and day.

Removing your idler pulley will not cause oil leaks, you are seeing something else.

I've removed several of these without any oil leaks, many miles later.
:cheers:

Not sure what the deal is, but i pulled mine a couple months back and it has not leaked any oil? I don't think that mount location is open to any oil source. The area that is leaking, have you cleaned it good and monitored for the leak source? It sounds like it could be the oil pump cover seal which is the culprit.

Removing your idler pulley will not cause oil leaks, you are seeing something else.

I've removed several of these without any oil leaks, many miles later.
:cheers:

I pulled mine out too. No oil leaks, I even put back to bolt.

(Again a belated reply)

Yep, sure enough I must have missed the mark on this. I still have leaks. I know the distributor o-ring is shot. I'm sure there's other leaks, but will need to track each down and fix. Our driveway is a mess of oil spots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom