Help - electrical issue. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I swapped the master and slave last night in my 85 fj. Went out this morning in it and tried to turn the blinker on and got nothing. No sound no lights on the dash and no signal lights blinking. Fuse is good. Hazards don't work either. I'm sure I messed something up when I was fooling with unhooking/rehooking the clutch peddle up, but I'm stumped. Can anyone give me any leads? Any help is much appreciated.

Does the horn still work?

And with the ignition OFF/key OUT, do the headlights still illuminate?

Doubt the electrical issue has any connection with swapping the clutch components. Did you disconnect the battery and forget to reconnect it? Try a jump start and see if that restores the electrical functions.
I thought maybe I knocked a connection loose when I was working under the steering wheel adjusting the clutch pedal. Literally everything else is working as it should, just not the blinkers. I tried throwing battery charger on it on jump setting no luck.

horn works and the headlights work with ignition off and key out.
The hazard, horn and headlight circuits all run off the same fusible link at the positive battery terminal. See wiring diagram below...I have highlighted those circuits in green.

This fusible link does not pass through the ignition switch, so this is why you should be able to turn them on with the Ignition OFF/Key OUT. The fact that the horn and headlights work indicates that the fusible link is good.

In the case of the Hazards, though, this is necessary but not sufficient for their functioning.
Wiring Diagram_FJ60 USA_1 1980 chassis-body_hazard_horn_headlight circuit FSM .jpg

Wiring Diagram_FJ60 USA_2 1980 chassis-body_hazard_horn_headlight circuit FSM .jpg

Does the engine run?

and with the Key IN and rotated to Ignition ON (so, one click away from you, as if you were starting the vehicle, but not rotating it all the way to start), do the Windshield Wipers work?

The Turn Signal (and also the Hazard) circuit runs off a different fusible link at the positive battery terminal, and must pass through the Ignition Switch. I have highlighted the circuit in red below.
EDIT: Note that I accidentally boxed in the 'stop' and 'backup' lights in with the turn signal lights...but in fact they are on a different circuit.

Wiring Diagram_FJ60 USA_1 1980 chassis-body_turn signal_hazard circuit FSM .jpg

Wiring Diagram_FJ60 USA_2 1980 chassis-body_turn signal_hazard circuit FSM .jpg

Last edited:
I thought maybe I knocked a connection loose when I was working under the steering wheel adjusting the clutch pedal.

The Relay Block is located in the DS footwell. There is a Turn Signal Relay. If it isn't working, then the turn signals will not work...

According to the 'Body Electrical' Chapter of the '1980 Chassis-Body' FSM, if you don't hear an operation noise from the Turn Signal Relay (Key IN/Ign ON), then either the relay is bad, or the Turn Signal/Hazard switch is bad.

If you pull the Turn Signal Relay and see 12V at Terminal B (one of the terminals in the Relay Block where the Turn Signal Relay connects) with the Turn Signal switch ON to either L or R and Key IN/Ign ON, then you could assume that the switch is good and the relay is bad...and if you don't see 12V at terminal B under these conditions, then you might assume that the switch is bad.

Turn Signal Flasher Relay test_1980 Chassis_Body FSM.jpg

Relay Block FJ60 from Chassis-body 1980 repair manual.png

Last edited:
Might have bumped the turn signal relay when re-attaching the clutch pedal....
Try unplugging the relay and plugging it back in. Worth a try at least.

bunch of heros, hangin out here...you guys are alright

The Relay Block is located in the DS footwell. There is a Turn Signal Relay. If it isn't working, then the turn signals will not work...

According to the 'Body Electrical' Chapter of the '1980 Chassis-Body' FSM, if you don't hear an operation noise from the Turn Signal Relay (Key IN/Ign ON), then either the relay is bad, or the Turn Signal/Hazard switch is bad.

If you pull the Turn Signal Relay and see 12V at Terminal B (one of the terminals in the Relay Block where the Turn Signal Relay connects) with the Turn Signal switch ON to either L or R and Key IN/Ign ON, then you could assume that the switch is good and the relay is bad...and if you don't see 12V at terminal B under these conditions, then you might assume that the switch is bad.

View attachment 1099274

Thanks a ton for all the help.

So, what I've gathered so far..

fusable link is good.

I don't seem to be getting 12v to the relay in the ds footwell, if I am correctly testing the correct relay, the turn signal relay is good.

So, that would mean it's the switch that's bad, right? Pardon my ignorance, but what is that, where is it, and what does it look like? o_O And is there any way to test it?

Does the engine run?

and with the Key IN and rotated to Ignition ON (so, one click away from you, as if you were starting the vehicle, but not rotating it all the way to start), do the Windshield Wipers work?

Engine runs just fine. and the wipers work with the ignition on.

Might have bumped the turn signal relay when re-attaching the clutch pedal....
Try unplugging the relay and plugging it back in. Worth a try at least.

I was hoping it was something like that, thanks for the advice. I tried last night and if I pulled the correct relay, that was not the issue. (on mine its a big green square relay and it says "FLASHER" on it.)

So, that would mean it's the switch that's bad, right? Pardon my ignorance, but what is that, where is it, and what does it look like? o_O And is there any way to test it?

Double check that the 'Turn' fuse in the main fuse box is good (either visually or check for continuity electrically or both).

The '1980 Chassis_Body' FSM chapter 13 is the Body Electrical section. It contains images identifying the location of the Hazard switch, provides basic instructions on how you might access it and steps for troubleshooting it's function. The tests are electrical...continuity tests. Just need to unhook the connectors for the switch (positive cable on the battery is disconnected because when doing continuity tests the multi-meter generates it's own current), then follow the directions to check for continuity (or resistance...depending on multi-meter it can be called the same thing) between combinations of pins.

If you don't have the FSMs you can download them here:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fsms.743084/

Attached are (from that chapter in the FSM) images on where to locate the Hazard switch, the Wire Color Code and the steps for testing the switch.

Hazard Warning Signal Switch_FJ60 13-6 Body Electrical_1980 Chassis-Body FSM.jpg

Wiring Color Code Body Electrical_page 13-2 in 1980-chassis-body FSM.jpg

Combo light turn hazard switch FJ60_1980 chassis_body FSM.jpg

fusable link is good.
Sounds like at least two of the three fusible links are good (because components behind these two are working)...and if the only thing not working is the turn signals, then the third is likely good too if you haven't directly measured the voltage at them...

Engine runs just fine. and the wipers work with the ignition on.
Then sounds like that fusible link is good...as is the ignition switch...

Sounds like at least two of the three fusible links are good (because components behind these two are working)...and if the only thing not working is the turn signals, then the third is likely good too if you haven't directly measured the voltage at them...

Then sounds like that fusible link is good...as is the ignition switch...
Thanks. When I get home I'll check the fuse again first, with a resistance tester, then I'll move to the switch. If the switch seems to be functioning properly and the fuse is good I'll just replace the relay and see if that fixes it.

When you tested for voltage at terminal B on the relay board (after having removed the Turn/Flasher Relay) was the Key IN/Ign ON? And was the Turn Signal handle flipped up or down (for L or R)?

f the switch seems to be functioning properly and the fuse is good I'll just replace the relay and see if that fixes it.

That would be the next 'lowest cost' move...it is difficult to imagine how the Hazard switch itself is bad...but if it tests out as 'bad' you might try cleaning the contacts while you're in there...sometimes they just get contaminated after long life use...

Another thing to consider is a short at one of the turn signal light bulbs...but that usually results in blown fuses...and doesn't explain why you are not seeing 12V+ at terminal B on the Turn/Flasher Relay board...

When you tested for voltage at terminal B on the relay board (after having removed the Turn/Flasher Relay) was the Key IN/Ign ON? And was the Turn Signal handle flipped up or down (for L or R)?

That would be the next 'lowest cost' move...it is difficult to imagine how the Hazard switch itself is bad...but if it tests out as 'bad' you might try cleaning the contacts while you're in there...sometimes they just get contaminated after long life use...

Another thing to consider is a short at one of the turn signal light bulbs...but that usually results in blown fuses...and doesn't explain why you are not seeing 12V+ at terminal B on the Turn/Flasher Relay board...

Yes the ignition was on and the signal was on. I tried both right and left signal, as well as hazards. I just did the test on the switch from the FSM and it failed the test. Thanks for all the help, I ordered the switch and I'll update y'all when I get it installed to see if that fixes it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom