Help deciding on which Dobinson Springs to order on a heavy rig (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.jchattdesign.com
Currently running OME J springs with the following hub to fender flare measures:
LF 22, LR 20.5
RF 21.5, RR 20.5.

Rig measures were done with ARB bumper, Warn Winch, Dual Batteries, Campteq roof tent (150lbs), solar panels, Landtank Sliders, ARB rear bumper/tire carrier, LRA 42 gallon spare tank (empty), 50lbs of tire chain and a steel rack (50lbs).

I dont know what half the stuff weighs on my rig but I'm a little surprised how I'm about stock height with J springs. Either they're worn or I've well exceeded the 220/400lb ratings?

I'm shopping around for Dobinson springs that would work better towards 3 inches of lift.
I've landed on the linear 3" Front C59-170 and Rear C59-153 (good for 800+ lbs)
However, I'm also looking at the 3.5" Dual rate C97-144VT (220+lbs) C97-145VT Rear (400+ lbs)
Should I just jump to the 4" springs?

IMG_5051.jpeg

Last edited:
I run the 144vt and 145vt and the IMS shocks on my ‘97.
Rear with 200lb static load I measure at 25.5 inches
Front with a Bull Bar, 10K winch and dual batteries I measure at 23.5 inches.

I’ve never measured fully loaded with a RTT and 500+ lbs of gear but I run level .

Best set up I’ve ever used!

devo

a couple of fully loaded photos…….

0EEDE551-2DB7-417F-AD71-5F93F2D2B376.jpeg

108DDFBB-0E77-458C-9B61-FFE25CB46E23.jpeg

I'm running the C97-144VT front and C97-145VT rear springs on mine. Front bumper, winch, dual batteries, very heavy rear bumper with tire carrier, drawers in the rear filled with gear and a fridge. I don't run flares but run with a full family in this rig.

80-3.jpg

Contact Dave Otero at Dobinsons. He’s very knowledgeable and will get you the correct setup for your vehicle weight and use.

Dobinsons Spring & Suspension USA
Doral, FL
David Otero
(305)424-8353

Contact Dave Otero at Dobinsons. He’s very knowledgeable and will get you the correct setup for your vehicle weight and use.

Dobinsons Spring & Suspension USA
Doral, FL
David Otero
(305)424-8353
I did. His answers weren't as definite as I would have liked. "I believe so" and "C97-145VT might be the closest" aren't exactly confidence inspiring answers.

I run the 144vt and 145vt and the IMS shocks on my ‘97.
Rear with 200lb static load I measure at 25.5 inches
Front with a Bull Bar, 10K winch and dual batteries I measure at 23.5 inches.

I’ve never measured fully loaded with a RTT and 500+ lbs of gear but I run level .

Best set up I’ve ever used!
Looks perfect! You're fully loaded sounds pretty close to where I'm at with static weight. My concern is when I add gear, will the 145VT be enough. I wish they had one step over those just to be sure. I dont want to do spacers just to get there either.

Slee 2” heavies plus trim packers to put you exactly where you want to be will get your job done very well. Their heavy coils are designed for fat rigs. I’ve been running their 4” heavy progressive coils in the rear of my 80 for 7+ years and I purchased them used 5 years old back then. The paint has held up well and they continue to get the job done just like like they always have.

A spring that possesses significant load capacity does not have to ride poorly even when unloaded. It’s all in the design. OME is a budget spring. I ran 850j/863 on my rig in the beginning. Like you said, I’d load up for a weekend trip and those “heavies” would collapse down to zero lift ride height.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom