HELP! Coolant lost in middle of big trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks,

After driving my 2006 GX470 1000+ miles over the last few weeks to and then around the southern appalachians, I’m set to continue on to family in eastern NC tomorrow (about 350 miles) with a small trailer in tow, with two little kids and another car in caravan. I go to check fluids on hot engine and discover the coolant is at the LOW line. Freakout! I’m 8 miles up a mountain with nearest dealership to buy more red coolant 60+ miles away. I can get out for distilled water tonight.

I topped the fluid off before this trip, saw it was down a little. Now inspecting the radiator, I see big red crystals on the upper driver’s side along the seam. No other signs of leak, but I don’t know how to check the water pump. ( Stealership that did my timing belt at 110k “forgot” to do the water pump and tried to charge me anyway. I’d planned to do it myself later this summer after this cross-country move.)

What do I do?

Distilled water will get you home. Then just flush and replace the radiator.

Top it off with water and monitor it during the 350 mile trip. If you've made it 1000+ miles and its just now on the Low line then I wouldnt sweat it too much. You should make it no problem to your destination.

Nursed it home without much fluid loss. Ordered parts.

Good to hear. Its a common issue on these trucks but really not an expensive fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom