Help!!! 1 UZ conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys, Iv not been on this site much as ive never really had a need, i have been lurking in the back ground lately though absorbing as much as possible:cool:

Im at the stage in my BJ40 build here in ireland where im ready to put back in an engine, which engine is the question.

I would like to put in the 4l V8 i uzfe but i am having difficulty in choosing a suitable gearbox (and one at a reasonable price) to put in ?:frown:

I have located a rear sump mounted engine as ive been told that this will offer better clearance with the diff.

I have also been offered a W58 gearbox from a supra for small beans but I am unsure as to how this will perform in the BJ40, With this gearbox i can get a full conversion kit which will allow me to bolt it to the 1uz for about $900 dollars.

Ive been told wrongly or rightly that my differntial from my b-series will bolt straight up. Can anyone confirm if this is true ??

I guess my question is will the W58 gearbox which the ratios standard are
First Gear: 3.285:1
Second Gear: 1.894:1
Third Gear: 1.275:1
Fourth Gear: 1.00:1
Fifth Gear: 0.783:1
Reverse: -3.768:1

be suitable ???:idea:

Or is there a much better option available with preferable off the shelf conversion or a parts list i can pick up

Or would i better off sticking with standard 3ltr.

To be honest the bj wont see a whole pile of off roading maybe a a bit of forest roads etc as i have other vehicles for this that i not too worried about damaging for the heavy stuff.

The bj has currently a 4 inch lift and i am planning on 33inch tyres and just wondering what the more knowledgeable people out there think of this combo of gearbox and engine.

Many thanks in advance for any and all information recieved:bounce::bounce2:

What gearbox was in the cruiser?

I would be (I am in my 1uz conversion) using that as otherwise you will have issues bolting up the transfer - I have never hear of someone bolting a w58 to a cruiser transfer case.
Also from memory the w58 is almost 50% longer than the cruiser boxes so u may have rear driveshaft issues

Cam

4 Speed gearbox was in it originally, not too sure what the model code was:confused:

Would i be better going with a h151f so ?? And then id need adapter plate, clutch and flywheel ?? Similar to the other thread thats on here

Many thanks for the help

You could use a h151 but by the time you have forked out the cash you may as well just get a conversion kit with flywheel clutch an bhousing to suit your box (if its in working order)

Do you reckon the 4 spd would be suitable, i mean im not looking for anything fast but just summit that drives nice!

Do you know of any conversion kits available or would it be a custom job ?

Dave

I sure it would be fine - guys on here use far torquier engines with the 4 speed (h42 i think)

Dellow Automotive do a kit here in oz and they ship internationally - its not a huge parcel either so Im sure shipping would be under the 1k mark (aud)

Or would i better off sticking with standard 3ltr.

To be honest the bj wont see a whole pile of off roading maybe a a bit of forest roads etc as i have other vehicles for this that i not too worried about damaging for the heavy stuff.

The bj has currently a 4 inch lift and i am planning on 33inch tyres and just wondering what the more knowledgeable people out there think of this combo of gearbox and engine.

.. i mean im not looking for anything fast but just summit that drives nice!

Why don't you just turbo what you have then ? My BJ42 is on 4" springs with 33" tyres with a 5sp box and I use her for all kinds of driving on and off road, in varying conditions. I only recently fitted a turbo ..

:meh:

Why don't you just turbo what you have then ? My BJ42 is on 4" springs with 33" tyres with a 5sp box and I use her for all kinds of driving on and off road, in varying conditions. I only recently fitted a turbo ..

:meh:

Hmmh its an option but while the bj is stripped down i see this as an ideal opportunity to shoe horn something in, plus a v8 appeals to me :grinpimp:

Wow what a lot of variables.:eek: I always start in the same place when I read a post like this, What is the intended use for the vehicle? Once you have that idea firmly down then the "which engine/transmission" combo question begins to sort itself out more easily.

Did I read that this was a BJXX in which case it was a diesel cruiser with either a B or a 3B engine in it, is that correct? It sounds like now that you have the thing apart and in pieces that you want to do an engine swap from the diesel B series over to a gas 1UZ, is that correct? If so why? If you want more power why not (a) turbo charge what you have, least expensive option and good results or (b) go to a 1HDT, a current production Toyota inline 6 that comes turbo charged from the factory and has been done in a 40. You can bolt a 1HZ/1HDT belhousing to your current transmission and transfer case combo (assuming that it was either an H41 or H42 transmission that came behind the B series engines) and be done. If you still have some cash lying around then you can buy either new or used an H55f 5 speed that will really just bolt up to the engine bellhousing combo that I just described.

Re: the 1UZ/2UZ swap into a 40, there is a thread here from a few months ago about a guy from mideast or Pakistan who did the swap, including you tube video. He admits that it wasn't a well documented swap but it happened and he had a lot of electrical problems. Use the search function to find the thread as he does describe the engine tranny decision process. Again it all starts with exactly what do you want to use the vehicle for, e.g. completely stock museum/ car show quality restoration, all off road buggy rock crawler, all street legal daily driver, expedition vehicle, occasional highway use, occasional light off road. Good luck.:cheers:

Wow what a lot of variables.:eek: I always start in the same place when I read a post like this, What is the intended use for the vehicle? Once you have that idea firmly down then the "which engine/transmission" combo question begins to sort itself out more easily.

Did I read that this was a BJXX in which case it was a diesel cruiser with either a B or a 3B engine in it, is that correct? It sounds like now that you have the thing apart and in pieces that you want to do an engine swap from the diesel B series over to a gas 1UZ, is that correct? If so why? If you want more power why not (a) turbo charge what you have, least expensive option and good results or (b) go to a 1HDT, a current production Toyota inline 6 that comes turbo charged from the factory and has been done in a 40. You can bolt a 1HZ/1HDT belhousing to your current transmission and transfer case combo (assuming that it was either an H41 or H42 transmission that came behind the B series engines) and be done. If you still have some cash lying around then you can buy either new or used an H55f 5 speed that will really just bolt up to the engine bellhousing combo that I just described.

Re: the 1UZ/2UZ swap into a 40, there is a thread here from a few months ago about a guy from mideast or Pakistan who did the swap, including you tube video. He admits that it wasn't a well documented swap but it happened and he had a lot of electrical problems. Use the search function to find the thread as he does describe the engine tranny decision process. Again it all starts with exactly what do you want to use the vehicle for, e.g. completely stock museum/ car show quality restoration, all off road buggy rock crawler, all street legal daily driver, expedition vehicle, occasional highway use, occasional light off road. Good luck.:cheers:

Hey volcano cruiser, thanks for taking the time to reply, the car will be mainly street legal, used at weekends with occassional off road but nothing heavy, light forestry roads etc. I have an lc120 for the day to day stuff.

Its a project first and foremost and feel like doing something a bit different. Its currently stripped to the chassis and ive just finished refurbishing the chassis and installing a 4 inch lift on it.

The v8 swap mainly came about seeing chevy v8's etc dropped in and id like to keep it toyota family so thats why i decided on the 1uz. Big petrol engines i.e anything over 2.0L here in ireland are cheap as people dont want them due to taxation etc over €1566 per annum, but when the engine is put into a classic vehicle/chassis its only €48 per annum This makes the bigger engines cheap for this project around 600 or 700 dollars.

Getting the likes of turbo kits etc may prove costly in terms of A)purchase and b) setup as there aint a whole pile of people who would even look at something like this

Other than the gearbox conversion kit and obviously gearbox, the outlay wouldnt be too bad and looks ok to me:steer: depending of course if i can get one suitable

From reading the pakistan thread and a bit of research the wiring element doesent seem too bad. I realise there will be teething problems but a bit of head scratching and swearing should solve this :doh::doh::bang:

The 1HDT sounds interesting but again diesels in this country especially ones out of 4wd can command a premium.

Dave

Hey volcano cruiser, thanks for taking the time to reply, the car will be mainly street legal, used at weekends with occassional off road but nothing heavy, light forestry roads etc. I have an lc120 for the day to day stuff.

Its a project first and foremost and feel like doing something a bit different. Its currently stripped to the chassis and ive just finished refurbishing the chassis and installing a 4 inch lift on it.

The v8 swap mainly came about seeing chevy v8's etc dropped in and id like to keep it toyota family so thats why i decided on the 1uz. Big petrol engines i.e anything over 2.0L here in ireland are cheap as people dont want them due to taxation etc over €1566 per annum, but when the engine is put into a classic vehicle/chassis its only €48 per annum This makes the bigger engines cheap for this project around 600 or 700 dollars.

Getting the likes of turbo kits etc may prove costly in terms of A)purchase and b) setup as there aint a whole pile of people who would even look at something like this

Other than the gearbox conversion kit and obviously gearbox, the outlay wouldnt be too bad and looks ok to me:steer: depending of course if i can get one suitable

From reading the pakistan thread and a bit of research the wiring element doesent seem too bad. I realise there will be teething problems but a bit of head scratching and swearing should solve this :doh::doh::bang:

The 1HDT sounds interesting but again diesels in this country especially ones out of 4wd can command a premium.

Dave

Often engine swap decisions come down to what is available and makes economic sense in your area. In this case that sounds like a gas V8. Just in case you get lucky though I would suggest the 1HD-T/H55 combo in a 40. There is a thread on it and the guy doing the project is from the UK so he might have similar shipping sourcing issues as you.:meh:

Assuming that you are going with the 2UZ, I would suggest that you stay away from the W series transmission that you mentioned above. I looked at some of those out of Coaster busses and Dyna trucks. It would have taken alot of work to adapt them to this application, i.e. to mate it to a 40 series transfer case and to hook up a floor shifter to it. Assuming that you can get the right bellhousing/ adapter plate/ input shaft, etc. for the 2UZ to mate it to a cruiser manual tranny you would want a 5 speed. Of those I would suggest the H55f with a split transfer case. You could use the H151 and the transfer case that comes with it mentioned above but it will most likely require cutting and moving the crossmember because of the long tail on this unit. It will also cause shifter placement /seat placement issues as well as length of rear drive shaft/vibration issues as well. The H55f/ split case setup will just require the lengthening of one drive shaft and the corresponding shortening of the other by a few inches. Just my .02 Good luck

Often engine swap decisions come down to what is available and makes economic sense in your area. In this case that sounds like a gas V8. Just in case you get lucky though I would suggest the 1HD-T/H55 combo in a 40. There is a thread on it and the guy doing the project is from the UK so he might have similar shipping sourcing issues as you.:meh:

Assuming that you are going with the 2UZ, I would suggest that you stay away from the W series transmission that you mentioned above. I looked at some of those out of Coaster busses and Dyna trucks. It would have taken alot of work to adapt them to this application, i.e. to mate it to a 40 series transfer case and to hook up a floor shifter to it. Assuming that you can get the right bellhousing/ adapter plate/ input shaft, etc. for the 2UZ to mate it to a cruiser manual tranny you would want a 5 speed. Of those I would suggest the H55f with a split transfer case. You could use the H151 and the transfer case that comes with it mentioned above but it will most likely require cutting and moving the crossmember because of the long tail on this unit. It will also cause shifter placement /seat placement issues as well as length of rear drive shaft/vibration issues as well. The H55f/ split case setup will just require the lengthening of one drive shaft and the corresponding shortening of the other by a few inches. Just my .02 Good luck

Volcano thanks very much for the info, just to clarify its a 1uz engine, i believe the 2uz is a hell of alot more complicated :wrench::wrench:

From futher reseach r-series, w-series etc are too long (Im learning0 for swb 40 so my options would seem to be the h series thats currently in it or the h55f as you suggest above.

Do you know or anyone else know:confused: of a conversion kit for either the h55f or h42 available ? Ive looked on dellows and crs and cant see anything suitable ?? Ideally if could buy a full adapter plate, clutch flywheel combo and be finished with one purchase it would make my life mucho easy

Im visting the local breakers on sat, what models did the h55f come in, fj70 ? was there anything else, ive seen on the pakistan thread a h151f gearbox would this be suitable also and whats the differences.

Many thanks for all the help again guys, sorry for all the questions but i am learning and if i pull the trigger on this ill document it all step by step.

Ps. hellbore are you doing the same ??

Do you know or anyone else know:confused: of a conversion kit for either the h55f or h42 available ? Ive looked on dellows and crs and cant see anything suitable ?? Ideally if could buy a full adapter plate, clutch flywheel combo and be finished with one purchase it would make my life mucho easy

Ps. hellbore are you doing the same ??

Yeah I am, got my kit from Dellow. If you contact them they will let you know prices etc - They defiantly do a kit :)

Cam

dewi, where are you located in Ireland? I used to live there once upon a time, and the wife and I are coming back for a fortnight's holiday in a week's time. We are renting a cottage in Co. Tipperary and will be driving to see friends and do business in Co. Fermanagh, Co. Donegal, and Co. Antrim. As well as the obligatory Ring of Kerry and etc.

Yeah I am, got my kit from Dellow. If you contact them they will let you know prices etc - They defiantly do a kit :)

Thanks hellbore, do you have a direct email for them, alls i can find is the
requests page on there site

Cam

dewi, where are you located in Ireland? I used to live there once upon a time, and the wife and I are coming back for a fortnight's holiday in a week's time. We are renting a cottage in Co. Tipperary and will be driving to see friends and do business in Co. Fermanagh, Co. Donegal, and Co. Antrim. As well as the obligatory Ring of Kerry and etc.

Hi 1911, I wont be too far away from you in Tipperary, I am next door in limerick:)

Any update on this?

Corglass

Progress 13 years later 🙄🙄🙄
IMG-20220808-WA0006.jpg

So a bit more on where Im at

Tub - New from Bulkhead back
Bonnet - NOS
Upper Sides - Nos
Engine - 1uz - 92 Sc400
Gearbox - h55f - Dellowauto motive
Axles - HJ60 - Front and Rear - Outboard
Lift - TPI 4 inch - SUA
Power Steering - HJ60 PS Box - SC400 Pump (Hopefully)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom