Heater Id and interchangability (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Haven't dove too deep into looking at this yet but I'm wanting to know mostly if heaters from different years can be interchanged easily. Mine has no top vents, and I think the bottom ones are missing. The 50 is a 72, is this even the right heater for it?
image.jpeg

Your FJ40 has had an engine change and the shift lever would have moved up under the front edge of the heater. Most people simply bent the shift lever to clear but it looks like the PO simply cut off the bottom of the heater box because the shift boot got in the way.

A later model one would have the heater vents up top right? I'm feeling like we won't feel much heat off this one in the winter with the little flap down pointing and the floor

Not sure about later heaters. As you can see from the picture below (my Dec. 1972, 73 model year) the front vents just blow the air left and right from the sides and angled from the front. If your flap is still there it will still divert the air back toward the center of the car.

DSC00961.JPG

a late model heater hangs down low as well.

The heater with the vents on top (later model) would be blocked by your cages dash bar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom