Heater core bypass (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone bypassed the heater core on the GX? I searched but didn't see any info. Now that the weather has cooled off so that I don't need the A/C, I'd like to use the vent mode and keep my windows up but even when it's 70° outside the interior gets too warm unless I turn on the A/C or open a window. The temp control flaps seem to be working fine.
Would a simple 3 way valve and an extra bit of hose do the job, or would there be a problem with air bubbles getting in the system?

If you have the vents set to cold, it shouldn't be running through the heater core (if it did, you'd be heating your air conditioned air).

Yeah, make sure the temperature is set too low

Pretty hard to understand why you are wanting to do that, the lines to the heater core have a valve on it, it does not flow coolant until you set the HVAC to a warm/hot temperature. if you have it set to cold (doesn't matter if a/c is on or off), there is no coolant flowing through the heater core. if you are expeiencing hot air with the a/c off and the HVAC set to cold, its possible you have a faulty heater valve that is letting coolant through, if they fail they usually are open all the time = hot air from vents with a/c off, or they can also fail fully closed = always cold air even with HVAC set to hot mode.

As I understand it, the coolant always flows through the heater core. I know on older cars the heater core is bypassed when the temp is set to cold but on this with the dual climate control it's different. The air temperature at the vents is controlled by the air mix dampers which send air from the blower through the heater core as needed to reach the driver's and passenger's climate control setting. So it does heat the air conditioned air. This is how the passenger can choose a temperature higher than the driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom