Headliner Insulation (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

Getting prepped to replace my headliner. Does anyone know where to source the insulation? (I've tried the normal hobby shops like Michaels etc)

OR is it actually necessary to replace the insulation?

Cheers!

IMG_9051.jpg

I would not mess with the insulation, other than to pull it away at the drip-rails and look for rust due to bad caulk in the rain gutters. If you find rust, treat it BEFORE you install the new headliner.

I would also trim back any insulation near the rain gutters, since it can only trap and hold moisture in this (bad) area.

I’m redoing my headliner and plan on gluing foil backed styrofoam to the top. My hope is to reduce heat transfer
Space blankets are remarkable for that application. A friend of mine lined the roof of his detached garage with space blankets and it held heat all day in the Colorado winters after turning on the propane heater for a half hour before we’d go out there to work.

Not sure how well it would work on the roof of a car with the intention of keeping heat out, but it will certainly help keep heat in.

I think the biggest thing is getting an air gap between the outside of the roof and the inside. If you look at some of the HJ60’s and BJ60’s they have a higher roof line. That’s a secondary roof that provides an air gap between the cabin and atmosphere.

I’ve read on this site somewhere that putting a sheet of plywood in the bottom of a roof rack does a tremendous job at blocking the heat. Again, pointing to that air gap.

There is a video of some australians replacing it with a purpose product, i think they did a thermal sound deadening and also foam.

I opted to install a lightweight roof dynamat material and the OEM roof padding panels over that. Pleased with outcome, no issues since install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom