Headed to Death Valley for first time. Any words of advice? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's big out there. It's tough to convey, but I recall looking down on Death Valley itself from the pass that drops down into Saline Valley, and thinking you could drop San Diego county into that valley.
A few years ago my wife, youngest son, and I drove over to Death Valley from our place NW of Las Vegas. We camped at Mahogany Flats Campground above the main floor of the valley, and hiked to the top of Telescope Peak (11,049 feet). The summit is pretty much right above Badwater (-282 feet), so it's a vertical relief of 11,331 feet. The views from the summit are spectacular, unfortunately I don't have a good photo. Here's a photo off the Internet that shows Telescope Peak from Badwater:

Telescope Peak from Badwater.jpg

Been to the springs over the years in amazing conditions with my 4x4 club. I would never travel alone to the hot springs in questionable conditions.

Hit the transmission pan and cracked the spot weld on the skid, leaking fluid. Patched and on the road in less than 30 mins with the right people and tools there.
154013E7-CD52-4858-BFBD-8EF238B217E8.jpeg

My current truck SOA on 35's leading the pack out Steel Pass and to Big Pine.
43994BBB-5CF4-48D7-B0EE-7C69BB1F24AF.jpeg

My stock truck on 31's with chains exiting South pass years back.
90FEC048-3A52-49F5-B62C-8648A7386856.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom